Advice for new spraying rig

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:34 am
Hi All
I make solid body guitars and I have been using a Fuji Mini Mite 3 stage turbine rig to spray them. I've come to the conclusion that this rig is really for painting houses. I'm looking into a high quality pro system now so that I can lay down the best possible coats. (I've switched to Behlen's nitrocellulose.) Considering that I am spraying guitars and not cars, would a minigun be sufficient? I am looking at the Iwata LPH80 124G minigun. If this gun is recommended then would the Central Pneumatic 21 gallon, 2.5HP, 125PSI compressor be sufficient? It's rated 5.8 CFM @ 40 PSI.
My two main concerns: Will the Iwata atomize the NC as good as any pro set up? And two, will the above compressor contain enough air with enough pressure and CFM to enable the Iwata?
Thank you all for your replies.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:33 am
Can I just throw out a few things here....I don't quite understand how you are NOT getting a low solids nitro lacquer like Behlen's to lay down right with a 3 stage turbine system. It is not for painting houses... I shot furniture with just a hot rodded 2 stage using a heavy duty hybridized high solids lacquer for the first 15 years I was in business... I would suspect you have an incompatible thinner or you just aren't adjusting your lacquer with retarder/flash off control solvents. If properly balanced Behlen's should lay down like glass with a 3 stage..... I'm sure other guys can comment on the mini-gun. Personally though I wouldn't waste my time on a compressor like that.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:56 pm
Hi Darrell
Yeah, I've tried for two years now to get my spray to lay down nicely. I started with single stage then on to 2k urethane and now NC lacquer. I've thinned to as much as makers recommend and then some, and I always use reducer. I spray in 60 to 75 degrees and always below 50% humidity. I've sprayed 8" away, 6", 5", 4" and I've sprayed fastly and I've sprayed slowly, Nothing changes. I can never get really good results. I have read about spray painting technique for the last two years now and one of the repeating things I keep seeing is that my 6.5 PSI is just not enough to properly atomize my paint. I constantly get OP. I'm done with the turbine route.
One last thing to note, spraying guitars is not like spraying cars. The final product for a guitar has to be way better than what one sees on a car. Guitars are constantly held closely to the eyes and so "perfection" in the finish is mandatory.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:08 am
Go here and look at the Instruction Manual for the Iwata LPH80: https://anestiwata.com/product/manual-spray-guns/lph80/
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:45 pm
Yup, read it and I ended up buying it.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:48 pm
It states the amount of air needed and I think for that model it was only 2.2 CFM.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:16 pm
And 14 PSI so I should be good to go. Can't wait to start painting with it. The reviews are great on it. Of course, I won't be eating for a couple weeks now.

Return to Tools and Supplies