Hate asking this - Respirator related

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 2:32 pm
I know there are several threads on this topic, but I can't seem to find a conclusive answer.

I need to re-spray 2 fenders and the trunk with urethane paint with a 2k clear. Looking at 2 coats base, 2 clear.

My plan is to paint outside if not windy, otherwise it would be in a 2 car garage with doors and windows open, without much ventilation besides a box fan at the window (I'm not too concerned about dust or other particles that might end up on the panel). I have a 3M full face respirator that would be used with 3M 60923 or 3M 6001 cartridges. Cartridges would be new/unopened until ready to use.

From several posts on here and other forums it sounds like these 3M organic cartridges should be OK for about 5-15 min of exposure to ISOs. To deal with this, I was thinking to replace cartridges after spraying base coat. Once used, cartridges would be thrown away. Between coats, I'd step outside/move away from the paint area (leaving the mask on). for the rest of personal protection, I was thinking pants, long sleeve shirt/hoodie, and Tyvek suit with gloves.

Any thoughts? Could I get away with this on such a small project?

I know the proper way would be to get a fresh air supply, but those are very expensive and since I don't have good ventilation, I doubt it would do much good since it would be picking up the air from the area where i'd be painting anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:20 pm
The 3M organic cartridges are good for 8 hours if used in well ventilated booths.
The first layer particulate filters usually clog up first so keep an eye on them.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:52 pm
When I was first learning about auto body restoration, safety was always the first thing mentioned in all the videos and books on the topic. I looked at the cost and inconvenience of fresh air supplied systems and thought a cartridge type mask might be the way to go. I decided to call 3M directly and get their recommendation as to which is their best and recommended cartridge type mask. They transferred me to their expert on their products. He asked me if I would be spraying products containing isocyanates? I said yes. He recommended that I get a fresh air supplied system since NONE of their masks are approved for isocyanates. I then kept an eye on EBay and eventually a Hobby Air unit in like new condition popped up for $200. $200 may sound like a lot and yes the hose is a pain, but, you get use to the extra hose, especially if you tie it in parallel to your air line you spray with, and I have hundred of hours using it without replacing anything.

Just a thought

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:26 pm
It's the same old problem with any mask that uses filter carts......YOU don't know when they become totally saturated. I've been Iso poisoned (they call it "sensitized") before and all I use is a positive air pressure hood with full paint suit. Actually I enjoy using my hood system as it puts out very cool air and gently pressurizes the rest of my suit.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:52 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:The 3M organic cartridges are good for 8 hours if used in well ventilated booths.
The first layer particulate filters usually clog up first so keep an eye on them.

To be honest i'm not too worried about re-using them later on, but if they can last 8 hrs that's somewhat of a good news. I just need 2 pairs of cartridges to last about an hr :)

Lenny B wrote:He recommended that I get a fresh air supplied system since NONE of their masks are approved for isocyanates.
Just a thought

It would make sense (to me, at least) that they'd recommend only fresh air supply to someone who's in auto restoration/body shop type of environment. In my case, I paint small pieces maybe once every year or every other year and this is first time using urethane. Besides the cost issue, I really don't have a booth of any sort where the air could be directed from one end to another, so I feel like fresh air supply would still be picking up contaminated air (unless they have filters that can catch ISOs better).

I appreciate everyone's responses. I might end up just getting it prepped and giving the panels and paint to someone else to shoot at a shop. If I can't find someone, I'll just spray them outside and replace cartridges as planned.

Return to Tools and Supplies