Do paint guns wear out?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:58 am
There are a few rubber o-rings, which need replacing. Anything else?
I paid $16 for my gun a few years ago, I don't want to spend any more money... :goodjob:
I am sure my gun paints better than me, I don't see a reason to buy better one.
Are o-rings for spray guns special? I found perfect size in local hardware store.
Experience: 40 body parts.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:32 am
My oldest daily use gun in my wood shop just turned 37. Yes, if they are kept relatively clean and parts are serviced guns can last a long time. Also make sure you are using a gun lube on critical moving parts. As for seals and those O rings....higher end guns do have some modified formula rubber parts. That being said, if you are not "soaking" the gun in solvents you might find you can get by with regular hardware parts. I've found that with some older guns I've bought/tinkered with that the "brown" colored (I believe that would be Viton) O rings used for fuel and fuel injection systems were pretty tough and worked quite well. A guy I was talking with at a car show also said the newer "green" o rings were worth a look. They are made of a modified hydrogenated nitrile rubber. Here is an example.....
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... gKCiPD_BwE
You'll also find that some packing materials in guns are made of poly plastics which can be a little harder to match up.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Tools and Supplies