Iwata vs Devilbiss

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:36 pm
I bought the Air Gunsa 2.0 for a primer gun.

HVLP
AZ3 HTE2 HVLP
Tip Size: 2.0
PSI at the gun: 30 (to get 10 at the cap)
CFM: 12
Fan Width: 14.2" :rotfl:

The fan size is more like 6" and nowhere near the 14" they advertise. I tried everything I could to increase the fan size but no go.

Chris, could you give me your settings for this gun when spraying 2k primer? I need a starting point as using it today I was all over the map and just couldn't get it dialed in.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:01 pm
Well after using this spray gun a couple of times I must say I am very disappointed. Expected a bit more since it carries the Iwata name.

Difficult to clean is an understatement, also difficult to get adjusted and kept wanting to plug up the air holes at the tip.

Trying to return it but they may stiff me on the refund since I "used" the gun.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:49 pm
NFT5 -- That's some very good info in your post above!

You mentioned "compliant" guns as being superior to HVLP, but which ones would you recommend? I ask because I have used an inexpensive DeVilbiss HVLP gun (don't have it anymore) and just recently an Astro LVLP gun. Both seemed to spray either too "dry" or on the ragged edge of running, with no in between. Neither worked as well as my old Binks #7 copy, which was drop dead easy to use w/o making mistakes. I recently painted a pickup truck tailgate, which is the largest piece I've ever painted, not counting primers. But I want to move on to more panels on my old Chevy truck.

Thanks for your advice.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:21 pm
My mistake. I see where the FLG5 is a compliant gun. Any others you'd recommend? Based on what my paint supplier says, it would be nice to have the option of a 1.3 tip for the Matrix MCU single stage paint I'm using.
Previous

Return to Tools and Supplies