Setting up a turbine system

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:51 pm
I did hit back on your PM.
Let's address a few things here....

Yes, putting the turbine outside in the winter usually works pretty well. Not unusual for a turbine to add 40 to 50 degrees above ambient outdoor temp. Best to turn it on for about 10 to 15 minutes before you shoot to let it stabilize.

No, I'm not a big fan of using them for primers....I addressed this in your PM.

Yes, they can be used as a low pressure "blowoff"....just treat it like a garden hose by putting your thumb partially over the end to increase the blowing pressure. We do it all the time with woods, metals,etc.

If you really want/need to do the primer thing....consider going with a 5 stage Fuji system. It will come with a very good gravity gun designed specifically for that 5 stage. Spending those extra bucks on that system will let you do a car from start to finish.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:42 am
First, good choice on NOT going with that compressor. I don't even like driving my staple guns and pin nailers much with those size compressors.
Okay, so again this is more like "my opinion" on this however, we have been using turbines for spraying now for 39 years. What the #1. hangup in any turbine system is VISCOSITY. When you buy your system you will receive a viscosity cup and a list of recommendations from that manufacturer as to how fast a given liquid will pour through that cup. I would say that most "normal" primers (epoxy, urethane, etc.) will easily meet the requirements of running through the 4 stage system as measured by that cup. Then, you try a "high build primer" through that cup...it will probably take too long....indicating that it would have to be thinned/reduced. If you do that....guess what..... you end up literally reducing the high build characteristics that you bought high build for in the first place. Try and shoot it without the reduction and boom....back to a grainy textured, not flowing out well at all, primer...... and yes, you want your primer to lay down properly.
So here is the thing.... you can probably find some manufacturer's high build that would work "well enough" (with minor reduction/thinning) for a 4 stage. I've yet to find that ideal high build but I also don't have the time/money to research that. Personally, for me, it's just easier to grab a cheap old compressed air primer gun to get it done.... but again I've got a 7.5 hp compressor that can flow 27 cfm.........
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:29 pm
Well, it's really up to you. I know your original intention here was to just get your car in primer and then take it elsewhere for final painting....that being said, IF you buy a 5 stage you should be easily able to take that car completely through finishing. So you can pick up a Fuji 5 stage for about $1000 if you shop it out. I've seen a few barely used ones for $700 to $800. Just remember that I told you this though....there will be a "learning curve" to using these systems. The viscosity cup is your friend and "tweeking" your mixes for better spraying is the name of game with turbines.

Return to Tools and Supplies