Primer gun

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:14 pm
Hi everyone I’m new here as well as new to painting auto body and everything in between wand could use some help.
I don’t plan on painting anything big , definitely no cars. I ordered a Devilbliss flg 5 after quite a bit of research. I did order the 1.8 tip and needle along with the 1.4. After additional research I’m also reading that it’s a good idea to have a separate gun for primer.
What is the recommendations by you guys?
Also wanted to know if it is a good idea to have a separate gun for primer, can it be a cheap one or is a good primer gun just as important as the base and clear coat gun?
Thanks for any help.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:36 pm
No reason for separate guns if you keep them clean.
Better to have one really good gun than 2 or 3 cheap ones.
A good gun with different tips like that DeVilbiss is all you need.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:34 pm
Thanks , Yes its the Devilbliss flg 5. Just I have some other jobs my wife would like done like painting house doors and son in laws cupboards and hate to mess up the good gun. By the way my Compressor is 60 gal rated 11.5 @ 40 psi , I'm hoping that will be sufficient. Right now I just have my vintage Vespa to paint so no big jobs.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:38 am
Separate guns are not necessary, as said. But I prefer having a 'good' gun for paint, and a relatively cheap gun for primer, as it is not as touchy painting primer. If you use one gun, it's probably best to have 2 sets of Caps/needle, a 2.0 or 2.2 for heavier prime, and a 1.3 or 1.4 for thinner paint.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:16 pm
chopolds wrote:Separate guns are not necessary, as said. But I prefer having a 'good' gun for paint, and a relatively cheap gun for primer, as it is not as touchy painting primer. If you use one gun, it's probably best to have 2 sets of Caps/needle, a 2.0 or 2.2 for heavier prime, and a 1.3 or 1.4 for thinner paint.

Thanks I was kind of thinking the same. :neutral:

Return to Tools and Supplies