Air compressor psi

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:14 pm
Hey just got an 80 gallon air compressor in my garage. After working off a 33gallon I’m finally FINALLY set. Now a few things
1) I have it set to shut off at 165 and it kicks back on around 140psi. What do you guys have set at??

2) it’s an old compressor so not sure but it looks like a Saylor Beal. What oil should I use and how often?

3) I heard some people say having air in the tank for a few days is not good and best to drain the air after use? Sounds like a pain with a large tank

4) I have. Single car garage with a 3/8 hose with high flow fittings. I’m planing on running some copper water traps with 3/8 filters etc. will 1/2 L type copper be fine or should I go 3/4? It’s a very small shop

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:06 am
I am not sure what oil that particular model takes. You should be able to find out online.
Where you live will determine how much moisture your compressor will build up in the tank.
Here in Arizona I have never had more than a couple of drops of water come out when draining the tank.
I ran 3/4" copper and zigzagged it across a wall to get at least 20' of run before the first drop and then through a filter, refrigerated drier, 10' of copper, a second drop and the booth wall and into the regulator, separator, etc.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:13 pm
I drain the water off at the end of each day but leave it at full pressure.
It's better on the tank to leave it pressurised.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:43 pm
Yea I decided to leave the tank full and every other day I relive the valve under the tank but no water. I noticed the desiccant quickly turned pink after spraying one door. It is a small harbor freight desiccant though. Any ideas of a decent sized one to replace my current one? This is a personal set up in my garage and I spray once in a while so not looking for a top of the line one. The tank I bought for $400 but the motor was a three phase. Had to buy a single phase but other then that it runs like a champ. The plate on the tank doesn’t match anything on google and I’m having a hard time finding out exactly what brand it is. Even the stamped number on the pump isn’t showing up on google :cry:

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:09 pm
Most compressors will take a non-detergent 30 weight oil.
Synthetic oil is best for high temperature protection and longer run time between oil changes.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:21 pm
Be careful when using synthetic oil,
Just like not good for high mileage cars where you'll burn more of it
because it gets by the rings easier, it will get by the rings easier in
a compressor too. Putting more oil in your air supply.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Return to Tools and Supplies