DYI Paint Booth

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:39 pm
I have been researching a DYI paint booth for a while and am getting to the point where I am ready to build one but have a few questions if anyone would be kind enough to give me some guidance. My focus is for painting a car. The booth Is for my personal use nothing commercial. It will be in a climate-controlled space.

I have no interest in heating the booth. Project can sit in the booth for as long it takes.
Does a heated booth make a difference in the finished product?

Easiest to build is the cross draft, hardest is the down draft. I am not willing to dig a pit in my garage, not sure if it is legal here either. 1st project will be body off. I can put together a down draft booth for body off easily enough. With a 4000lbs car gets harder.
Does the type of draft make a difference in the finished product?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:11 am
First, define your "climate controlled space." Are you maintaining a 24/7 temperature environment, say, like 68 to 72 degrees F? As a hobbyist I like to think "warm" and constant as what it takes to get good curing. True heating systems in a pro booth are more about speed/production than say, improvement in the qualities of the paint. And, yes, most home booths are some variation on cross flow going either negative or positive pressure.
Does "how" the flow goes make a difference, well, not so much with a home booth....small vent fans, poor filtering, crappy building, poor lighting, and a host of other factors will play into this first..... I mean, I've seen guys do great paint jobs out in gravel driveways.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:51 pm
Thanks

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:36 pm
Do a search on Homemade Paint booths and see what you come up with. Should be a lot of information on this topic.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Tools and Supplies