Utilizing old spray guns...

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:44 pm
Hello, I'm a new member here and am just getting back into hobby paint/body after growing up around it most of my childhood. My father was a body and paint man at a local Chrysler dealership in southern Indiana through the early 1970's and did side work at home on friends and family vehicles. He also bought used cars to paint/do body repair and sell.

My fondest early memories was masking and wet sanding cars with my father starting around age 9. Helped sprayed my first car (with dad's supervision) for the first time around age 12.

So, today I am looking to get into some hobby by doing the paint & minot body work fixing up a 1997 Ford F250 w/ powerstroke 7.3 diesel my father left me when he died. Nothing serious body wise, minor rust on tailgate (plan to replace) and one minor ding in rear bed behind right rear tire. It just needs new paint to really look good again.

My question is regarding my father's old equipment (which he left to me). I know the compressor has the CFM to handle painting cars, but his three spray guns (all Binks of various models) are all probably 40 to 45 years old and the last time I know they were used was somewhere around 25 to 30 years ago.

They were always expertly cleaned and properly stored in a quality tool chest to keep them from getting dirty or damaged, but I am concerned about the potential for damaged/dried out seals before I get started.

While I could afford new equipment, I REALLY want to use my father's old tools. I'd rather spend money to revitalize his old Binks spray guns since he left them to me.

Anyone have advice on what to look for and how to test these out before having mixed paint and then discovering a problem? If problems are found, can I still find the parts to repair these spray guns? I am not 100% sure of the model numbers (they are in garage on other side of property and it's late), but I'm think one was a model 7 and the other a 62. I'm thinking the 62 was mostly used for primer, and the 7 was his finish gun. That sound right? It's been so long but I think that's how he used them.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:26 am
Okay, first, I love antique, collectible, and just plain old tools. I've rebuilt/reconditioned and use a lot of my dad's old stuff which still does what it did 80 to 100 years ago. You have to look no further than ebay/amazon and you will indeed find complete (various levels of quality sometimes) rebuild kits for both of those guns. The #7 was probably the most popular and used gun of the times when your total paint budget was maybe $100 or so. Some guys on here are still using their #7 at times.
Here's the rub with those old guns... at most they are transferring about 65% of the material that you pour into the cup to your surface you are shooting. Wasn't such a problem with that $100 budget. So now, paint materials are more like in the $800 to $1200 range. We cannot afford to be dumping 35% of that money on the floor or just up in the air. We are instead using HVLP, LVLP, and RP guns with transfer rates up in the high 80 to mid 90% range. We pollute the air less which means time spent in cut and buff. Look up some of 68 Coronet's pic.s on here and note that his "just off the gun" clears are probably "good enough" for production work straight out the door.
So maybe strike a compromise on this.... A good quality US made rebuild kit for the #7 is like $20. I'd make the #7 a primer gun, turn the 62 into a wall or desk trophy with your dad's info. on it and consider buying a new topcoat gun... Other guys will chime in with differing opinions, I'm sure......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:01 pm
:goodpost: its really what you feel comfortable with. I'm old school, I've been painting cars and and other things from tug boats to airplanes for 40 years or more. I have a couple Satas and I don't think they are any better than the Binks 7 or a Devilbiss MBC or JGA my favorites that I have. I get the same amount of overspray with the gravity gun as I do with the MBC. and here's the killer, I DON'T like the cup sticking up where I'm trying to look at what I'm spraying.( I did say I'm old school didn't I.) there are a lot of variables in using a conventual gun and a gravity gun to make them spray right. the Binks is a fine gun I have a couple, one on a pressure pot. I also have a few #62's they are smaller and work good on smaller jobs. but as I said its really up to you personally what you feel comfortable with I would load up the #7 and try it on an old fender and see how it works for you. and check eBay for tune up kits and other parts if you don't think its going to work for you then look for a gravity gun and be prepared to spend some money.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:47 pm
I was going through another tool chest today and found another spray gun. This one a Binks 2001.

Are all gravity feed spray guns HPLV or LPLV? I know I saw a paint gun over there with the cup on top. I'm just not sure where I saw it. I just went back over there and looked around and didnt see it. So it might be in a box somewhere. I'll update what it is when I find it.

I have inherited so many tools that I am a bit overwhelmed at the moment. Engine hoist. Engine cradle. Transmission Jack. An enormous port-a-power and bolt down (to a concrete floor) frame repair fixture. 2 Lincoln Arc welders. An Oxy-acetlane torch. Three mig welders. A full chest of air tools. It's a bit overwhelming right now just trying to figure out how to organize everything and how to integrate it into a functional shop.

I appreciate the advice given by both of you. I googled repair kits with specific models and did find some kits.

Badsix, what you said about the top cup designs being in your line of sight makes sense to me too.

I looked at the air compressor while outside. It reads 13 scfm @ 40psi and 10.5 scfm @ 90psi. I assume that will be sufficient for anything involving paint? It also says 15.2 CFM.

Will it run air files, cutoff tools, impact wrenches, etc? The tank looks pretty large. Maybe 24 to 30 inches around and 5 feet tall?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:59 pm
I didn't mean to scare you with the cup thing, you can look around it but its just annoying to me. the 2001 I have a couple I use them for smaller blends like just a fender blend nice gun I use a pint cup on one of them. your compressor should be ok but just ok meaning it could be up on the cfm. that's one thing about the older guns is that they don't use as much air.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:08 pm
Yeah, I'd agree on the compressor. You'll get an idea of how much "drain" there is on it's performance by how much it runs. If while using a tool or gun and it is running continuously that means more heat and more moisture generation which must be handled. There is "somewhat" of a newer trend for efficient air tools which can be used with less cfm. A new air sander we got about 6 months back is in the 2 to 4 cfm range. There are also some newer LVLP and HVLP guns in the 6 to 8 cfm range. Oh, and some of the old air files were real air hogs, even as high as 18 cfm however it wasn't like you were using them that long at a time anyway....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Tools and Supplies