Budget spray gun

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:37 pm
I'm looking for a budget spray gun that will spray base and clear....if there is such a thing.

Budget is around $150-$250

If I paint at home I have a 60 gallon single stage compressor that makes 11.5 cfm @ 90psi and 13.4 cfm @ 40psi.

If I do it at my friends shop he has a 120 gallon 2 stage which would probably be in the 15 cfm range, I would have to double check.

As a starting point I was looking at a DeVilbiss Finishline FLG-671 #803559. It says its a waterborne gun great for oil based and waterborne paints. Some research says it uses too much CFM.

The original plan was to use PPG Omni base and production clear as I am on a budget.

I didn't know there were different specifications on the guns for different types of paint.
What type of paint is PPG Omni?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:48 pm
You can sometimes find a good deal on eBay.

I bought an Iwata LPH-400 with a 1.4 tip for $200 about 8 years ago. Cleaned it real well and put a new seal kit in it and have been using it ever since.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 7:21 pm
You can get lucky with a second hand gun which may have been bought by a pro who just didn't like it for some reason. But, I'm usually wary and suspicious that there may be something wrong with it. Parts like aircaps and fluid nozzles and needles can be expensive for the big brand guns and your 'bargain' may not end up being such a good deal.

Best value for money, in my opinion, are the guns from the big names that are aimed at what might be the "budget" market. For Devilbiss this would be the FLG5 which is a vastly better gun than the FLG4. Link here. From Iwata, their AZ3 HTE2 is one of the best built, easiest to clean and maintain guns that I've ever owned. Slightly smaller spray pattern than the FLG5. Link here.

Both are 'compliant' guns, meaning that they can achieve as good, if not better, transfer efficiency than HVLP, using higher pressures for better atomisation but less actual air consumption. They are each under 10CFM with 1.3mm or 1.4mm tip, which makes them suitable for both of the compressors you have available.

Each fits within your budget range and much cheaper than Ebay.
Chris

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 5:10 pm
NFT5 wrote:You can get lucky with a second hand gun which may have been bought by a pro who just didn't like it for some reason. But, I'm usually wary and suspicious that there may be something wrong with it. Parts like aircaps and fluid nozzles and needles can be expensive for the big brand guns and your 'bargain' may not end up being such a good deal.

Best value for money, in my opinion, are the guns from the big names that are aimed at what might be the "budget" market. For Devilbiss this would be the FLG5 which is a vastly better gun than the FLG4. Link here. From Iwata, their AZ3 HTE2 is one of the best built, easiest to clean and maintain guns that I've ever owned. Slightly smaller spray pattern than the FLG5. Link here.

:goodpost:

Yep, I totally agree. Buying off of Ebay is such a crapshoot. I bought a Mini-Sagola off of eBay and it was so crapped up on the inside like the guy had never actually cleaned it.

That same website also carries the Ani F160, I use an Ani F150 (older model) for flake and really like it. I also have one of the Airgunzas (by Iwata) that I use for poly HB primer. Love it also. Haven't used the FLG5 but many have and like them. For my next flake gun, I will probably buy one of the Airgunzas.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:52 pm
I picked up the DeVilbiss Finishline FLG4 kit #803559 that comes with 1.3, 1.5, and 1.8 tips.

I looked at other options but in the end my local supply store had it in stock. Higher end of my budget at $240 USD. I know I could have got it cheaper if I shopped around, but I figured it would go a long way dealing with my local guy.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:01 pm
Tracs wrote:I picked up the DeVilbiss Finishline FLG4 kit #803559 that comes with 1.3, 1.5, and 1.8 tips.

I looked at other options but in the end my local supply store had it in stock. Higher end of my budget at $240 USD. I know I could have got it cheaper if I shopped around, but I figured it would go a long way dealing with my local guy.

You can make that gun work. Did it come with the #3 air cap? If so, look for the #1 (conventional) air cap, it makes that gun easier to use.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:41 pm
OldFatBald wrote:
Tracs wrote:I picked up the DeVilbiss Finishline FLG4 kit #803559 that comes with 1.3, 1.5, and 1.8 tips.

You can make that gun work. Did it come with the #3 air cap? If so, look for the #1 (conventional) air cap, it makes that gun easier to use.

It came with the #3 air cap. I have been reading about the #1 air cap.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 12:40 am
That #1 aircap is conventional. Needs high air pressures and will result in poor transfer efficiency and vast clouds of overspray. Nice finish though, with what actually gets to stay on the panel. End result is that it will cost you a lot more in wasted paint and, unless you have a full downdraught booth, much time in dealing with all the overspray that lands on the panels you've just painted. :rolleyes:

A compliant or Reduced Pressure aircap (Trans-Tech in Devilbiss terminology) will reduce bounce-back and overspray while providing as good as or better transfer efficiency than HVLP. Atomisation is much finer so you get a better, finer finish that costs you less in wasted paint. They also use less air than HVLP (FLG4 needs 13CFM, FLG5 uses 9.8CFM) so you won't have to go and buy a new compressor either.

I gave you the links. The FLG5 is $132.50 and extra needles and fluid tips are $38 per set. Even with some postage that's still a better deal than the FLG4 that you bought, for a gun that is a whole lot better.

Why do I bother? :cry:
Chris

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:36 pm
NFT5 wrote:That #1 aircap is conventional. Needs high air pressures and will result in poor transfer efficiency and vast clouds of overspray. Nice finish though, with what actually gets to stay on the panel. End result is that it will cost you a lot more in wasted paint and, unless you have a full downdraught booth, much time in dealing with all the overspray that lands on the panels you've just painted. :rolleyes:

A compliant or Reduced Pressure aircap (Trans-Tech in Devilbiss terminology) will reduce bounce-back and overspray while providing as good as or better transfer efficiency than HVLP. Atomisation is much finer so you get a better, finer finish that costs you less in wasted paint. They also use less air than HVLP (FLG4 needs 13CFM, FLG5 uses 9.8CFM) so you won't have to go and buy a new compressor either.

I gave you the links. The FLG5 is $132.50 and extra needles and fluid tips are $38 per set. Even with some postage that's still a better deal than the FLG4 that you bought, for a gun that is a whole lot better.

Why do I bother? :cry:

I'm thinking I will return the DeVilbiss FLG4 and get the FLG5 that comes with the 1.4 needle & tip. Should I even get a extra different sized needle and tip? If so what is a useful size to have?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:35 pm
FLG5 only comes with 1.4mm for base/clear and 1.8mm for primer.
Chris
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies