Maybe Time For A New Gun--Recomendations??

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:41 pm
Hi Guys,

Been a few yrs since posting and need some advice. Been using a cheapo Eastwood Concourse 51550 gun for a few yrs. After alot of practice I have finally been able to do nice bc/cc of small pieces (motorcycle fenders,tanks ect.). I'm no pro but at this point, I can do at least a factory quality job. Would like to work my way up to complete cars once I retire next year.

Now, for the question, my gun is leaking air at the spot where the needle goes into the head (sorry if my terminology is incorrect). Common sense tells me I need a rebuild kit but after talking to Eastwood, the gun and parts are discontinued. I'd also like to get a 1.5 needle/nozzle kit for it. Looked at Ebay and Amazon but no luck on parts, or even a complete gun. I like the gun and since it only needs 4.5 cfm, my small compressor kept up (for the work I am doing). So, with all my rambling.......what gun would you guys recommend in the sub $300 range. I know my compressor is holding me back from big jobs but eventually we will have a good dual stage unit so I am hoping that I'll be fine on the small stuff I do since a decent gun will take more than the 4.5 cfm I am using now. Thoughts??

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 10:22 pm
1. Decent quality
2. Uses less than 4.5 CFM
3. Under $300

Pick any two from the above.

There is almost nothing that will satisfy all these and which is why we tend to recommend brand name guns. Had you had a Devilbiss/SATA/Iwata the chances are that spares would still be available for a gun the same age as the one you have.

If you get yourself a compressor that has around 17CFM capacity you'll be able to do all the jobs that you'll need to do later on and open up a whole range of gun options.
Chris

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 10:44 pm
O.K. what would you recommend from Devilbiss in the sub $300 range--once I have the right compressor?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 4:08 am
Rebel Racing wrote:O.K. what would you recommend from Devilbiss in the sub $300 range--once I have the right compressor?

https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/produc ... paint-guns

keep it a base/clear gun and get another for primer

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:55 pm
tomsteve wrote:
Rebel Racing wrote:O.K. what would you recommend from Devilbiss in the sub $300 range--once I have the right compressor?

https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/produc ... paint-guns

keep it a base/clear gun and get another for primer
O.K. I see it (DeVilbiss Finishline FLG-670) takes 13cfm which is a lot more than my current compressor puts out. Maybe I would be fine for the small parts I do now (??). I see they make an air cap (part number 690000) that is rated for 9.9cfm. Would that help me out at all with this gun?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:29 pm
Nope.

The FLG5 is a much better gun than the FLG4. For about the same money you get an RP (Reduced Pressure) gun instead of HVLP for better atomisation, significantly reduced air consumption (9.8CFM vs 13CFM) and better transfer efficiency (saving you money in paint lost to overspray).
https://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/index.php/sprayguns-parts/gravity-sprayguns/devilbiss-flg5-compliant-solvent-spraygun-best-seller.html

It has a very wide fan which is well suited to large jobs, but not so well suited to smaller jobs.

Better suited to smaller jobs is the AZ3 HTE2 which is an Iwata made by their Italian arm, Air Gunsa. Smaller fan and air consumption even less than the FLG5. Run at about 32psi it will match the Devilbiss for atomisation and is, in my experience a more solid and reliable gun. Also available in a much larger range of tip sizes and even primer specific models. Cheaper too and much easier to clean.
https://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/index.php/sprayguns-parts/gravity-sprayguns/iwata-az3-hte2-water-solvent-spraygun-works-like-it-s-twice-the-price-bargain-all-rounder.html
Chris

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:42 pm
NFT5 wrote:Nope.

The FLG5 is a much better gun than the FLG4. For about the same money you get an RP (Reduced Pressure) gun instead of HVLP for better atomisation, significantly reduced air consumption (9.8CFM vs 13CFM) and better transfer efficiency (saving you money in paint lost to overspray).
https://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/index.php/sprayguns-parts/gravity-sprayguns/devilbiss-flg5-compliant-solvent-spraygun-best-seller.html

It has a very wide fan which is well suited to large jobs, but not so well suited to smaller jobs.

Better suited to smaller jobs is the AZ3 HTE2 which is an Iwata made by their Italian arm, Air Gunsa. Smaller fan and air consumption even less than the FLG5. Run at about 32psi it will match the Devilbiss for atomisation and is, in my experience a more solid and reliable gun. Also available in a much larger range of tip sizes and even primer specific models. Cheaper too and much easier to clean.
https://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/index.php/sprayguns-parts/gravity-sprayguns/iwata-az3-hte2-water-solvent-spraygun-works-like-it-s-twice-the-price-bargain-all-rounder.html
I like the Devilbiss....price is right and very popular here in N.A. Strange though, all the sellers seem to be in the U.K. is this a European spec gun? A quick call to my local Devilbiss dealer will answer that question I guess.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:12 pm
Rebel Racing wrote: is this a European spec gun?

Sort of. HVLP was developed for the North American market. RP was an improvement on this design which was picked up by Europe. In the meantime HVLP had been written into the statutes in NA and established a market which RP has never really dislodged, even though it's a much better specification.

Outside of NA HVLP is hardly used, except sometimes for basecoat, but rarely for clear since RP does a much better job and saves paint into the bargain.

It's a similar situation to many other, particularly automotive, standards. For example, you guys had to put up with sealed beam headlights for some 30 years after the rest of the world realised how much better halogen was. Once written, the US standards (along with Canada who just follows) are literally set in stone and provide very little opportunity to be updated to newer technologies. By comparison the UN standards are constantly updated so that new technology can be incorporated quite quickly.

Don't dismiss the AZ3. I have both (FLG5 and AZ3 HTE2) and I find the Iwata a much nicer gun to use. The FLG5, at 1.4mm is exceptional for 2K (single stage) but the AZ3 beats it hands down for basecoat. The slightly smaller fan just means a few more passes, but this really isn't a big issue. The other thing I like about it is its reliability - nothing ever goes wrong, whereas with the FLG5 I'm constantly replacing seals and adjusting stuff. With the Iwata it's just clean and use again the next time. For me that's a big issue - I don't have the time to be constantly maintaining my guns.
Chris

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:10 am
NFT5 wrote:
Rebel Racing wrote: is this a European spec gun?

Sort of. HVLP was developed for the North American market. RP was an improvement on this design which was picked up by Europe. In the meantime HVLP had been written into the statutes in NA and established a market which RP has never really dislodged, even though it's a much better specification.

Outside of NA HVLP is hardly used, except sometimes for basecoat, but rarely for clear since RP does a much better job and saves paint into the bargain.

It's a similar situation to many other, particularly automotive, standards. For example, you guys had to put up with sealed beam headlights for some 30 years after the rest of the world realised how much better halogen was. Once written, the US standards (along with Canada who just follows) are literally set in stone and provide very little opportunity to be updated to newer technologies. By comparison the UN standards are constantly updated so that new technology can be incorporated quite quickly.

Don't dismiss the AZ3. I have both (FLG5 and AZ3 HTE2) and I find the Iwata a much nicer gun to use. The FLG5, at 1.4mm is exceptional for 2K (single stage) but the AZ3 beats it hands down for basecoat. The slightly smaller fan just means a few more passes, but this really isn't a big issue. The other thing I like about it is its reliability - nothing ever goes wrong, whereas with the FLG5 I'm constantly replacing seals and adjusting stuff. With the Iwata it's just clean and use again the next time. For me that's a big issue - I don't have the time to be constantly maintaining my guns.
Hi Chris,

Great info...got me re-thinking my choice. I didn't realize how far we are behind the EU on a lot of things. So my intended usage will be for spraying rocker panels, the odd hood/deck lid (bonnet/boot?), motorcycle fenders,tanks and side covers. Do you feel the Iwata would be the best unit for that? Thanks!!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 4:27 pm
You're welcome.

I've done bonnets and boots with the AZ3. It's fine but these days I use a Gti Pro Lite, especially for clear on bigger jobs like those. For motorcycle parts I'd reach for the AZ3 without thinking - the FLG5 is just too big for smaller jobs like those.
Chris
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies