Tip size for Iwata AZ4 HTE-S for BC/CC

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:29 am
On NFT5's recommendations, I am going to order an Iwata AZ4 HTE-S Impact for the smaller projects that I do, wheels, suspension parts etc. I have full size guns and my LPH-80s for the graphics type work.

* What size tip should I get for the Iwata AZ4 HTE-S Impact for shooting BC/CC (both solvent and waterbourne)? 1.0 or 1.2?

Thank you in advance.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:59 pm
I bought the 1.0 and love it. But now plan on getting a 1.2 because the 1.0 struggles a bit with thicker products.

These guns operate on quite low inlet air pressures of a shade over 1 bar and atomisation is really fine. Handles MS Clear with 5% reducer no problem but my premium Centari 6000 base needs a little bit more thinner and HS clear same thing. So, 1.2mm is on the shopping list.
Chris

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:24 pm
NFT5 wrote:I bought the 1.0 and love it. But now plan on getting a 1.2 because the 1.0 struggles a bit with thicker products.

These guns operate on quite low inlet air pressures of a shade over 1 bar and atomisation is really fine. Handles MS Clear with 5% reducer no problem but my premium Centari 6000 base needs a little bit more thinner and HS clear same thing. So, 1.2mm is on the shopping list.

So, 1.0 or 1.2? Or as I'm reading it, both?!!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:19 pm
I was being deliberately ambiguous. :happy:

It really depends on what you do with it. For really fine work, two steps above airbrushing, very small parts and thinner paints, the 1.0mm is the go. For small panels, SMART repairs, bar blow-ins or using thicker paints then the 1.2mm will suit better.

Because I already have a couple of midi guns I chose the 1.0mm first, but I do all kinds of things so the 1.2mm is now on my list to fill the gap. I'd originally planned to have the AZ4s replace the R150s but I can now see that they actually complement and fill the gaps. So I'll probably keep the R150s.

They are quite different to other guns. Compared to, say, the R150 1.0mm (which I have), the atomisation is much finer and fan a bit smaller. Kind of deceiving when the gun body is quite a bit bigger and you expect the opposite. They're not promoted as LVLP but they definitely are and I think that a lot of Iwata's knowhow has gone in to the design. Iwata are, after all, very strong in the mini and midi gun segment even if their guns of this type have been around for a very long time.
Chris

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:48 pm
NFT5 wrote:I was being deliberately ambiguous. :happy: ...

Aha! I still read that as both!

But really, I have a bunch of LPH-80s for the small graphics stuff that I do, so those are covered.

I want something to shoot; waterborne (thin), solvent and High Solids Clears (Tamco 2104) on small projects such as my steel rims that I just did with a choked down Sagola 4600

I think that I am going to get the 1.2 to handle the clear and will just need to move a little faster with the waterborne (?)

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:16 pm
Sounds like a plan to me. :goodjob:
Chris

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:18 pm
NFT5,

Thanks again for the help, it is much appreciated.

Return to Tools and Supplies