Upgrading. Compressor or turbine

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:33 pm
Hi all, new to this forum but not to the auto body world and I’m looking for some first hand advice. Little background, used to work at a specialty restoration shop for about 10 years. I was fortunate to have a boss that would let me use the shop for personal projects during off ours as he put it, the more practice I got on my projects it would help my day job. Fast forward, joined the military and I still do projects about 1 every other year. Had all my body tools, paint guns, etc. but started off small with a Home Depot 30gal. Compressor with the intention of upgrading. 8 years later and lot of patience and learning I’m ready to upgrade. Been through a 69 bronco, 82 fj60, 81 gd320 gwagon, and last my 72 suburban.

I’ve done a lot of research and from what I can find people have had great success with 2-3 stage systems like the showtime but recommendation are the new 4-5 stages. My shop based in San Diego used tcpglobal and I still order from them and have my stuff shipped to me in VA. I looked for their input but they wouldn’t give me any info on units they didn’t sell.

I’m torn between upgrading to a larger compressor with a suitable cfm for my hvlp guns or starting over and picking up a Fuji, or Apollo maximiser. On the max website their “automotive rated” stage 5 sprayer is **** near 5 grand. Their next level down is $3k, these systems include siphon guns and everything else needed.

I figure a good compressor with all the filter and dryers, etc will run me just under $2k. Don’t really have the need for shop air unless I plan to buy a blast cabinet down the line.

So I’m looking for first hand experience and info. What is needed, do you really to thin clears? If so can they spray primer?

Thank you

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:43 am
Just finishing up shooting this with my new 6 stage mated with a Sprayfine gravity gun....I'll be back later in the day and throw some comments on here about pros/cons..... This is done in Tamco's Matte clear which can be tricky with any system....
Attachments
IMG_20200827_141959868_HDR (1).jpg
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:42 am
You are going to need the filters regardless of system you purchase, including a turbine.

What worries me about the Fuji turbine is that they seem to be more geared towards bathtubs and woodworking. Auto painting seems secondary.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:43 pm
So turbine sprayers when I got in the biz were single stage units pretty much good for spraying low solids wood lacquers, stains, etc. Each turbine stage puts out about 1.5 to 2 psi max. Then came 2 and 3 stage units....so you were up around 6 psi. The 4 stage units push you up to 8 psi, 5 stage at 10 psi, and 6 stages gets you 12 psi. Although psi sounds like the thing that is making these "better" it comes with ever increasing CFM as well. The idea is a high volume of clean, dry air, at pressures that allow proper atomization.
I started using turbine gun systems in 1982, was selling them by 1986 or so, and finally was building my own systems putting them with Capspray guns in the old days. With much tweeking of my coatings I used to shoot cars with my heavily modified 2 stage back in the early 1990s. So present day.... I don't think I'd shoot a child's toy with anything less than a 4 stage now. A 5 stage is going to require almost NO adjustment of thinners or reducers and a 6 stage is a wonderful thing.... So the prices your are looking at, well, go look at Phil's 5 stage over at Sprayfine....
https://www.turbineproducts.com/sprayfi ... ay-system/
Now he'll switch out that gun for a gravity gun if you want it. That is my favorite gun right now. And, I'll just throw this out there.... If you want to build your own system just PM for some tips and tricks on doing that....the cost savings are substantial....
And on the subject of going with compressed air....I love my 7.5 hp Eaton that we just upgraded to this spring. I like the flexibility of having air tools plus my turbine guns. If you shop wisely you can have it all you know.... :pcorn:
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Tools and Supplies