Auto Color Charts?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:28 am
I hope this is the right forum for this. Does anyone know where to get color charts for a reasonable price, or free, like we used to? My supplier is super stingy with most things (sticks, and strainers) and tells me he can't get me color charts. I realize I am a pretty small buyer there, but still! Ebay prices are crazy!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:52 pm
I am not sure if there are any all inclusive color charts out there. So many brands and variations of colors it would require a monster sized book.

I usually get a Factory Color chart for the vehicle I am working on. Like this one for my 1968 GTX project followed by my 1968 Dodge Coronet R/T:
Color Chart.jpg

1968-dodge-pc.jpg

The problem is that even those are not exact matches so it is whatever color that seems to be the closest. The GG-1 is the same code but two different color names.

Local Jobbers here have laminated color chips for the different brands of paint they carry.

I generally try to get the paint code from the Tag on the car and then see what comes up on the net. Even then there are so many variations it's nearly impossible to find one that matches perfectly.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:46 pm
The problem I run into, constantly, is working with customers in choosing paint color. I have some old chip charts, 1970's, 80's 90's, but when I am doing a real nice custom job, and the owner doesn't want to go for Candy, or Pearl, from HOK, I can't show him the variety of great colors that new cars come in! My local supplier is almost 40 min. away, and I can't take the time to go with him to sort out what color to do. And often, if the car is in the shop, I may want to put a color chip against the interior color to check if it goes with it.
Customers, mostly, get lazy, and won't go to the paint supplier, to look at chips, or go to new car dealerships to find a color, as I often advise. It's usually best if I confer with them, or help advise them in the process. So I really need the newer car color charts. **** hard getting them!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:32 am
Colour charts are expensive to produce, so getting one from a dealer when you're about to buy a new car can be difficult at times.

Because I use an Axalta paint system I have the colour chips that they produce and use these when in a similar situation to what you describe. Not ideal because they're sorted by manufacturer and paint code, rather than by colour, but they're a good start. The interesting thing is that I have two sets, one of which is not fully up to date but would be ideal if you were a bit closer.

I'm thinking that there may be shops nearer to you that have the same situation as I have or maybe they're changing paint companies/systems and have no use for the old chips. It might be worth your while to have a look on your local classifieds sites.
Chris

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:25 am
Same situation here, Chris. I have old charts from Dupont, PPG, BASF, Martin Senour. Nothing new, though. Even though the manufacturer is different, the colors ought to be the same, and certainly the color codes from the OEMs are the same ( I know the Dupont number won't match the PPG number), and that's all I need to get paint mixed. But it's these paint manufacturer's charts that I can't seem to get any more. They used to give them out to shops like Halloween candy! Now, it's like pulling teeth to get even one year's worth! Or, 30-50$ to buy them!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:26 pm
my jobber back about 10 years ago had a boatload of color chip books. mentioned one day id like to get a set of them.
he ended that thoight with "your wallets way too thin for those."

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:31 pm
what color book are you looking for ?
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:02 am
PainterDave. No one year, model, or domestic/import in particular. I just need some references to help guys pick a color for their cars, from some of the newer, vibrant colors out there. I only have sporadic ones up to around 1999. Anything from the last 5 years, US or Import, doesn't matter. I'm sure I can find a great paint for someone, from one of the last 5 year's factory color choices. (I have lots of color charts for Custom paint, Candy Flake, Pear, from several manufacturers. But some jobs need an easily matched, commonly available, easily touched up, factory color)

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:03 am
If anyone in the business has duplicates, or extras, I'd be glad to pay a reasonable price for some!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:31 am
The last three vehicles I painted for people, they chose the color from the internet.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies