Newbie Tools

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:01 am
IMG_1542.jpg
Hi all. Thanks for the add! I am new to doing body work............as in the closest I've done is using a spray paint can to paint a Audi 5000 30 years ago. I am currently working on a 1959 Studebaker Lark, 4 door. Body is in ok condition, but paint looks like it has grains of sand scattered on it.

So, to my question. What beginner tools do I need? I don't know if I'll do more than this one project, so I don't want to commit $1,000's in tools.

I'll make a post later on where to start :)

Thanks!!!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:56 pm
Lot's of information in the Info Center and Sticky Posts at the top of each Forum thread.
Here's one to get you started.
https://www.autobody101.com/content/art ... ould-know/
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:48 pm
tj4ndirish wrote: ...So, to my question. What beginner tools do I need? I don't know if I'll do more than this one project, so I don't want to commit $1,000's in tools...

What tools do you have now? Compressor (proper sized, not a pancake) and good air filtration system?

$1,000 isn't going to go very far. Is that just for tools and not materials?

If you have never sprayed anything before, a HF purple gun is not going to do you any favors.

There is a reason that a full respray cost so much with the labor and materials involved.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:54 am
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Lot's of information in the Info Center and Sticky Posts at the top of each Forum thread.
Here's one to get you started.
https://www.autobody101.com/content/art ... ould-know/

Thanks so much, I'll check it out!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:56 am
OldFatBald wrote:
tj4ndirish wrote: ...So, to my question. What beginner tools do I need? I don't know if I'll do more than this one project, so I don't want to commit $1,000's in tools...

What tools do you have now? Compressor (proper sized, not a pancake) and good air filtration system?

$1,000 isn't going to go very far. Is that just for tools and not materials?

If you have never sprayed anything before, a HF purple gun is not going to do you any favors.

There is a reason that a full respray cost so much with the labor and materials involved.

I currently do have a 20 gallon compressor and that's it. No filtration system. I guess what you're saying is let someone else do it?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:29 am
If you are not planning to paint more than one car, it isn't cost effective to purchase the proper equipment and materials to learn how to DIY.

I for one tried to get by on the cheap with my first restoration. Found out it was more expensive that way because I had to buy everything twice. The undersized compressor wasn't working, the cheap spray gun had issues, the inline air filter was inadequate, etc. All of this produced a crappy paint job so I had to do it all over again. New compressor, new filtration system, new spray guns, wall regulator/water trap, copper air lines, better paint booth set up, more air flow, more and better lighting and then another $1600 in primer, paint, sandpaper, etc.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Tools and Supplies