Custom Turbine Help

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:34 pm
I had a couple of theories on building a custom turbine setup. After reading pretty much every post on here and thinking out my options, I was curious if I could make accustom system. I hope to speak with DarrelK and others about this and see if it is possible. So, I would want to start with the project with two of the 6 stage motors Darrel recommends. From Here I would mount these two next to each other with piping tat joins the two external pipes together so we get one flow of air. I would place both motors on a speed control in order to control pressure. So then once I leave the two motors I would like to go into a cylinder style air to water cooler. I would also run hoses into a cooler of some sort with a circulating motor to flow the cold water through out the cooler. I was planning on leaving this whole system open as well so there is no trapped heat. I was also planning on running a digital air pressure gauge and tapping into the far side of the air to water cooler to get a pressure reading. How do you guy feel about this?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:05 pm
Why do you feel the need for 2 of the 6 stage units?????? Just one is capable of putting out a little more than the max. 10 psi of the typical turbine gun.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:35 am
At you going with a constant flow bleeder gun? If not you will need some sort of relief. I purchased one adjustable between 2 to 10# from McMaster Carr I believe two units will give you more flow, not up the pressure. Not sure how much flow you need. I bought a 5 stage from Lighthouse and it is more than adequate.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:19 am
Pressure would HAVE to go up as the extra push from all of those turbine stages overcomes any resistance regarding hose length and other factors. I just don't see what advantage you take away from doing two turbines this way. Back on the old days of turbine setups this was done because the max. turbine setups were 2 stage.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:09 am
if you put two air compressors, each capable of compressing to 120psi, plumbed to deliver to the same tank, would the tank pressure go higher than 120psi or would it fill twice as fast? (turbines are somewhat different, but not that much)

staging the turbines will increase the pressure, but not as efficiently as more stages designed together.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:45 am
Turbines are not compressors....they are air movement devices. Air compression is more of a side effect rather than their purpose. They are vacuum motors working on their output rather than input side. The thing you are running into here is the basic misconception about "pressure" even being discussed. Conventional air compressors are mostly about pressure but turbines are ALL about cfm. A large air compressor often in the 5 to 10 hp range is going to put out a max of 32 cfm or so at it's rated operating pressure while multi-stage turbines are well over 100 cfm but only at 6 to 10 psi. Whole nother world of tech.....that's why turbine spray guns themselves tend to be a "clean sheet of paper" design..... I mean I can cut grass with a pair of scissors or a 60" Zero turn mower, same net effect, right.....whole different journey.....

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:05 pm
but each stage of a compressor turbine is designed for an incoming air density and pressure increase, along with the incoming air rotation, that's why they have a rotor and stator, a fan has only a rotor because it only needs to move air, not compress it. Given a free volume of incoming air at a given density and static velocity, a turbine stage can only raise it to a given pressure, as the pressure on the exit side of the turbine increases, the efficiency of the turbine drops to zero. try it as an experiment, I think you'll see the results verify this.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:23 pm
So I'm game.... what point does that prove??? These turbines are simple vacuum motors.....

Return to Tools and Supplies