Amateur Paint Sprayer Equipment Help

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:04 pm
Can anyone tell me the best affordable equipment for a fairly well skilled rattle can sprayer.

I mean if I want to move away from rattle cans what's the best thing to go for bearing in mind I only paint things occasionally.

I might want to paint my motorcycle tank sometime and wondered if an Airless cup sprayer like the Wagner 230V 280W Paint sprayer W100 was any good or what other options are there?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:57 pm
Well, just an opinion from across the pond here but....I think that type of turbine sprayer is fine for just about everything around the typical house (fences, cabinets, woodwork, etc,) but it just doesn't go far enough for auto coatings. If you could spend some more look up dedicated turbine spray systems on your English version of Ebay. If you could get a used 4 stage system with separate turbine, hose, gun it would be fine for the type of work you want to do. As guys move up to 5 and 6 stage systems we are seeing (well at least here in the US) more of the older 4 stage units go on for used sales....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:07 pm
Hi and thank you for the info buddy. I put into eBay 4 stage turbine and it didn't find hardly any, typical lol. What does a 4 stage actually mean anyhow?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:05 pm
The turbine is the air source which is made of "stages." Each stage of a turbine motor housing makes about 2 psi. The more stages the more pressure at the gun but more importantly there is more CFM moving. If you look around you should find something like this.... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Titan-Capspr ... Sw101fq0WJ
That's older tech. but would work for you....probably could find something at about half that price. Looks like the trend is a lot of these come from the US anyway.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:37 am
By the time you invest in all of that, you could have bought a
used compressor and a cheap conventional gun and been
much better off for car painting.
I started out with a used 1 hp compressor and a $49 Binks copy gun
and did some nice paint jobs.
And had a compressor that I used for other things as well
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:42 am
Thank you all for your input I appreciate it, not sure which way I'll go but I have a little bit more knowledge now of what's out there.... :goodjob:

Return to Tools and Supplies