Hvlp and Lvlp

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:04 am
Years ago i was sold by a sales rep (yeh I know) a set of lvlp spray guns. I full size and two touch up models, these were a good brand Star Evos, spent around 1100 aud for the three spray guns

I have tried and tried and tried to use them, but they just dont spray very nice at all IMO, very unsmooth finish applied.

Can i convert these into hvlp guns, would i need to do an aircap and nozzle change.

Steve

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:03 am
Steve, I've owned Evo guns and I would doubt that you can do anything dramatic enough to change the way they spray.... I could be wrong about that but I don't think just an air cap/needle change, etc., could change the fact of how much air they are set up to use.....anybody else got thoughts on this/???? I'm sure NFT5 can comment on this....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:52 pm
It depends on which model(s) you have. Some could be changed with needle/nozzle/air cap swap but others could not.

Even if you could change them I'd question whether going to HVLP would be the right choice anyway.

I've had a lot of Star guns and the best results have been from RP setups running 15-20% over the recommended pressures.

Not sure of Star distributors where you are but I've always used AASpray (website link), for parts and service.
Chris

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:34 am
What is an RP setup?

Steve

Settled In
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:49 pm
rp is reduced pressure. it is an epa compliant gun, transfers at least 65 percent of the material to the panel. a lot of the guns now are rp.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:03 pm
I might have to force myself to use them a bit more, I just find the paint is deposited more as drops on the surface than as a spray

Return to Tools and Supplies