Dedicated Clear Gun??

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:27 pm
NFT5 wrote:
Rebel Racing wrote:my only question is, is the Pro Lite a better gun for clear than my current AZ3--for the stuff I am doing right now?

Is the Pro Lite a better gun? Yes.

Is it better for what you're doing now? Maybe.

Downsides are that the Pro Lite has a MUCH bigger fan, so you'll be wasting a lot more clear when painting smaller parts and it pumps clear at a faster rate, so your risk of runs is higher. Used correctly, the finish from the AZ3 can be as good as the Pro Lite, for smaller jobs; not necessarily so for large jobs.

Then you have the question of which Pro Lite? There are fluid tips of 1.2mm, 1.3mm and 1.4mm and there are 5 different aircaps : 3 x RP (T110, TE10, TE20) and 2 x HVLP (HV25 & HV30). That's like having 15 different guns with completely different spraying characteristics!

And then you have personal preference, as Dave pointed out, above.

Some VERY good points here, he is 100% correct on the transfer efficiency. guns with large patterns are not always the best choice for small parts.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:53 pm
Thanks for all the replies Guys!! After thinking it over, although the Pro Lite would be nice to have, I don't need it yet. If anything, I will pick up another AZ3 strictly for clear. Currently it has a 1.3 tip that I am doing both base and clear and I am happy with the results. Quick question, would a 1.2 tip be slightly better for clear should I go this route. I know a lot depends on the painter. Thoughts?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:27 pm
Depends on the clear that you're using and the ambient temperatures (smaller tip is better in cooler weather) but I didn't - just have the 1.3 and this will teach you the effects of other adjustments on your gun(s).
Chris

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:33 am
NFT5 wrote:Depends on the clear that you're using and the ambient temperatures (smaller tip is better in cooler weather) but I didn't - just have the 1.3 and this will teach you the effects of other adjustments on your gun(s).
O.K. great info. Right now I am using a heated garage but I struggle to get the temp. over 75F. Summer time I am shooting in the 75-85 range for several months.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:22 am
NFT5 wrote:just have the 1.3 and this will teach you the effects of other adjustments on your gun(s).
I was thinking of getting a 1.2 tip for my current AZ3 but looking at the parts list, they go from a 1.0 right to the 1.3 and bigger--no 1.2 offered. I sorta wanted to experiment with a smaller tip for clear.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 11:24 am
PainterDave wrote:
NFT5 wrote:
Rebel Racing wrote:Downsides are that the Pro Lite has a MUCH bigger fan, so you'll be wasting a lot more clear when painting smaller parts and it pumps clear at a faster rate, so your risk of runs is higher.
Wondering if the Pro Lite could be adjusted (smaller fan and less fluid) to be acceptable for smaller parts? I guess, even if it could do the smaller jobs, I am better off sticking with my AZ3....I guess I just answered my own question, LOL.
Previous

Return to Tools and Supplies