Best spray gun for diy?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:25 pm
Hi all,

Any chance I could get some recommendations for a decent spray gun for a beginner for occasional use? Right now I need to spray a quart or two but I'm sure other things will come up.

Air supply is clean and dry, 50 cfm+- with refrigerated drier.

I want to spray epoxy and urethane and honestly know absolutely nothing about spray guns other than I'm betting doing an Amazon search and guessing is probably a bad idea. I'm already not good at this I don't need the tools making it worse if I can avoid it.

McMaster has everything from $50 to $600 or so.

What should I look for? Gravity vs siphon vs everything else?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:54 pm
why don't you try one from Horrible Freight, i bought one of there purple guns to shoot some contact cement and didn't use it. i have cense used it to spray epoxy primer and hibuild primer any some S/S urethane. it worked good for all of those. try it and if you think you need something better it will still make a good primer gun. you can't go wrong on the price.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:40 pm
a freind of mine has the Harbor Freight Black Widow and loves it. i am taking his word as i am not a painter

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:03 am
devilbiss flg5 form sprayguns direct,$200 see gunman on youtube,

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:35 am
Personally I wouldn't waste my money on anything from Horrible Freight.

There are a variety of gun styles out there; HVLP, LVLP, RP, SATA, IWATA, DeVILBISS and so on. All of them apply paint and clear just fine when adjusted properly. However the application of the paint varies.

I started with iWata knock off guns produced by Astro-pneumatic called EVO4014 (1.4 tip) and EVO4018 (1.8 tip). Later I bought a used iWata LPH400 off eBay. The quality difference was obvious the moment I took it apart to clean it.

The iWata LPH requires a slow steady hand and to be kept about 4" from the surface while painting.

Later I used a SATA 2000 and found it put out a whole lot more paint and that I had to stay farther from the surface and move faster to avoid runs.

I still have an use the iWata LPH as well as the EVO4018 for a primer gun. Not long ago I acquired a Tekna Copper spray gun that came with 1.3 and 1.4 tip sets. This sprays more like the SATA than the iWATA but does a great job laying clear coat and is easy to clean.

So what I am trying to get across here is that if you are serious about painting cars, don't cheap out on the tools required. You will find the cheap guns difficult to sell when you want to upgrade as well.

Visit a small collision shop or a place that does custom painting and asks some questions. They might even let you try one out if they are not super busy.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Tools and Supplies