DIY Paint Booth Thoughts?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:07 pm
Hi Guys,

I've been shooting motorcycle tanks and tins for the last couple of years. During the warm weather months I have been painting outside and most of the time I have been contaminate free but occasionally I will get a bug or two in the clear. For the first time, (winter) I have a small heated garage that I use from a neighbor but it is a pain to cover everything up to keep over spray off their stuff--and there is not a lot of room to begin with.

So........I am thinking that a small DIY booth at my house might be the ticket to better jobs in the spring, summer, and fall months. Looking at something like a10'X10' or 12'. First thought was to frame something like that on a patio stone pad I have behind my garage and use thicker plastic sheeting and ventilate it. Problem being, we have a 5yr old who would instantly make it a playhouse--and I know how long the plastic would last with her in it LOL. That, and it would really only be good for painting.

Next thought, how about a tin garden shed modified for painting. I bet I could find one in the size I need. I could install a box fan or 2 for ventilation and seal all the gaps in the tin. I could mount LED lighting in the celling and walls. For entry/exit I was thinking about nylon screening with either a zipper or velcro to cover the sliding doors.

Another plus to this idea would be that we could still use the shed for storage when I am not painting--like winter time. Am I crazy thinking about this? Anyone else done something similar? Thoughts?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:38 pm
Do a search on Homemade Paint booth. Lot's of information on here including airflow calculations, filter banks, positive vs. negative pressure, etc.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:49 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Do a search on Homemade Paint booth. Lot's of information on here including airflow calculations, filter banks, positive vs. negative pressure, etc.
I'll do it!! Thanks.

Return to Tools and Supplies