Tracing wheel?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:56 pm
this might seem a silly question !
so i seen a video of a flame job on a nova wagon
and a guy had a stencil and used a tracing wheel for the flames
then taped them off then used transfer paper cute them out and did his airbrush highlights.
then shot them with a candy red

so i guess using a tracing wheel with light pressure would be okay to do?
its about a tool so sorry if its in the wrong section has to do with art also so i was unsure lol
so i chose the tool area

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:27 am
Not sure what a "tracing wheel" is.
I make a pattern with masking paper, after I tape off the outline of the flames with 1/8" tape. I rub a pencil sideways against the paper, which makes a hard line where the tape is. Then I use a "pounce wheel", a spiked wheel that makes tiny holes in the paper, to follow the outline of the flame pattern. I do the 'pouncing' on a piece of cardboard, or other softer surface, so the wheel can make good holes.
Then I lightly sand the flip side of the pattern (the wheel makes dimples as well as holes), and tape it (flipped over) to the other side of the car. A pounce bag, filled with powdered chalk, to tap over the holes, and this transfers the pattern to the car body. Then tape it off. You can use an old sock filled with powdered chalk to do this, but it puts out a LOT of dust, and you can't really control it. A ounce bag is much more controllable. The chalk holes you are going to follow are only on lightly, so be careful not to rub them off when taping.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:39 am
tracing wheel looks close to a pounce wheel from what i just checked out..
video i seen dude ran his over his stencil on the vehicle in the clear coat yu can see the marks in the clear coat..
i wouldnt think that be wise?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:28 pm
this is a very good way to do flames and graphics.

it is a pounce wheel and they come in many tooth sizes,
youll also want pounce chalk, white for every color but white, light blue for white cars.

i do not use a pounce pad, i use a sock from my daughters sock drawer over 15 years ago and still using the same one to this day lol.

the trick to pouncing is after you tape your flames/graphics on one side lay all your paper out, (i like to use the old green heavy masking paper) do your rub with stick of chalk, take that and lay on cardboard and use your pounce wheel, after perforating your design flip it over and sand it with 320 by hand VERY LIGHTLY this will make sure the holes to close when you pounce it with chalk.
Attachments
Trailer.jpg
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:29 pm
chopolds wrote:Not sure what a "tracing wheel" is.
I make a pattern with masking paper, after I tape off the outline of the flames with 1/8" tape. I rub a pencil sideways against the paper, which makes a hard line where the tape is. Then I use a "pounce wheel", a spiked wheel that makes tiny holes in the paper, to follow the outline of the flame pattern. I do the 'pouncing' on a piece of cardboard, or other softer surface, so the wheel can make good holes.
Then I lightly sand the flip side of the pattern (the wheel makes dimples as well as holes), and tape it (flipped over) to the other side of the car. A pounce bag, filled with powdered chalk, to tap over the holes, and this transfers the pattern to the car body. Then tape it off. You can use an old sock filled with powdered chalk to do this, but it puts out a LOT of dust, and you can't really control it. A ounce bag is much more controllable. The chalk holes you are going to follow are only on lightly, so be careful not to rub them off when taping.

Exactly this :clap:

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:56 pm
thanks in the video i was watching he just did the pounce wheel over the clear from what i could tell on the side of the car.. you could see the marks in the intercoat clear.. but at the finish of the video you could not see them after all the stuff was done..
i just thought it was a neat way to do it
one part of the video he did use cardboard as well..
its something im going to have to try to do
i dont do cars jsut small pieces sheets of metal now for practice etc i did a motorcycle fender i traced it all out cut it with tape etc it wasnt bad but still lookin for better ways to do it

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:12 am
if you had a very light hand you could do on intercoat, thats pretty risky for a lot of reasons,i always lay graphics over sanded clear.

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Return to Tools and Supplies