First Impressions Of My GTi Pro Lite

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:16 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:I normally shoot clear with a 1.4 tipped Iwata LPH 400. Have also shot clear with a 1.3 tipped DeVilbiss Tekna Copper and gotten great results.

1.2 seems a bit small to me but I do not have your gun. Personally I think you need to try for a combo that allows you to spray at a comfortable speed.

The fact that you had to slow down, tells me the tip is too small.
Well, now I really feel that I should at least try a 1.3 tip. This may sound really dumb but, to change, I will need the 1.3 nozzle AND a needle, correct?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:24 pm
Rebel Racing wrote:I will need the 1.3 nozzle AND a needle, correct?

No, just the fluid tip. The needles and air caps for the Pro Lite are common through the different tip sizes.

Your problem on the vertical surfaces is because you're trying to put in on the same as on a horizontal surface. Instead of flowing out it's slipping down, creating the peel problem. Lighter faster coats.

'68 Coronet R/T wrote: Have also shot clear with a 1.3 tipped DeVilbiss Tekna Copper and gotten great results.

With the 7E7 aircap they are a very good gun and I still use mine regularly. The Pro Lite with T110 cap is streets ahead though.
Chris

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:29 pm
NFT5 wrote:
Rebel Racing wrote:I will need the 1.3 nozzle AND a needle, correct?

No, just the fluid tip. The needles and air caps for the Pro Lite are common through the different tip sizes.

Your problem on the vertical surfaces is because you're trying to put in on the same as on a horizontal surface. Instead of flowing out it's slipping down, creating the peel problem. Lighter faster coats.

O.K. you just saved me some $$..Thanks!! I figured it was a "ME" problem since I did lay down a mirror finish on smaller parts with the current combo. I will adjust my spraying next time on a bigger vertical surface before buying a different tip. In your opinion though, is my current T110/1.2 still the best for small bike parts that I am doing or would a 1.3 give as good or better results? Personally, I would like to master what I have rather than adding another variable into the mix.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:32 am
Rebel Racing wrote:In your opinion though, is my current T110/1.2 still the best for small bike parts that I am doing or would a 1.3 give as good or better results?

In my opinion.....how about would I use a Pro Lite to do small bike parts? No way, the fan is way too big and you get overspray all over the place, plus, tip it a bit to get into a recess and you'll double up on the outside and turn it into run city. For a tank, maybe, if it's a regular kind of shape, maybe a large fairing, but if the part is like most bike parts then I'd use a smaller gun. Either this even though I don't like the controls, it sprays ok, or this which is, like its bigger brother, turning out to be a rock solid bit of kit that is just perfect for small jobs.

All that said, the more you work with the gun you have the better you will develop your skills and be able to compensate. Having to clean up some big runs in a light pocket will make you much more careful and conscious of what's happening next time.
Chris

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:47 am
I have only painted a few bike parts but a lot of the difficulty is with how you have them set or laid out before spraying.

Trying to hang smaller fiberglass or plastic parts can result in them blowing around while spraying. Same thing if they are spread out on a table.

Generally I strive to get them secured or weighted down some how.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:57 pm
NFT5 wrote:
Rebel Racing wrote:In your opinion though, is my current T110/1.2 still the best for small bike parts that I am doing or would a 1.3 give as good or better results?

In my opinion.....how about would I use a Pro Lite to do small bike parts? No way, the fan is way too big and you get overspray all over the place, plus, tip it a bit to get into a recess and you'll double up on the outside and turn it into run city. For a tank, maybe, if it's a regular kind of shape, maybe a large fairing, but if the part is like most bike parts then I'd use a smaller gun. Either this even though I don't like the controls, it sprays ok, or this which is, like its bigger brother, turning out to be a rock solid bit of kit that is just perfect for small jobs.

All that said, the more you work with the gun you have the better you will develop your skills and be able to compensate. Having to clean up some big runs in a light pocket will make you much more careful and conscious of what's happening next time.
Darn you Chris....now you have me Jones'n for that AZ4, LOL. I feel good that I can make (with practice) my ProLite perform the way I want it to. I do have a steering column to spray on the Wife's '68 Mustang Convertible--she is VERY particular so maybe I will pick up that AZ4 for that job later in the year. She also wants me to do a color change on her '02 Kawi Vulcan--a cool heavy flake 70's style blue. I am starting to see how guys have a large collections of spray guns--sort of addicting LOL!

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:36 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:I have only painted a few bike parts but a lot of the difficulty is with how you have them set or laid out before spraying.

Trying to hang smaller fiberglass or plastic parts can result in them blowing around while spraying. Same thing if they are spread out on a table.

Generally I strive to get them secured or weighted down some how.

Yep, do NOT hang them, it is a PITA.

I ended up building a cheap adjustable set of stands using unistrut, all thread, pipe and some abandoned (free) wheels. The tank pivots up to spray underneath, then sets down on the adjustable all thread. I have a couple more for fenders.

For spraying bikes, get a smaller gun, I have used both the AZ1 Impact Jr, an ANI R150 (or whatever the model is now) and like them both. For an even smaller gun, I LOVE my Iwata LPH-80s
Tank 2 - Chop (13).jpg

IMG_20171028_140215.jpg
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:01 pm
:rockon: :happy:

Rebel Racing wrote: I am starting to see how guys have a large collections of spray guns--sort of addicting LOL!

When I sold the shop I only kept a bare minimum number of guns.....

2021-02-20 10.17.59.jpg

2021-02-20 10.18.30.jpg

But then I realised that I needed a primer gun........and now I want another one of those AZ4s............and maybe a dedicated 2K gun?
Chris

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:13 pm
NFT5 wrote::rockon: :happy:

Rebel Racing wrote: I am starting to see how guys have a large collections of spray guns--sort of addicting LOL!

When I sold the shop I only kept a bare minimum number of guns.....

2021-02-20 10.17.59.jpg

2021-02-20 10.18.30.jpg

But then I realised that I needed a primer gun........and now I want another one of those AZ4s............and maybe a dedicated 2K gun?
Well, now I don't feel bad about wanting an AZ4 LOL!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:42 pm
[quote="NFT5"][quote="Rebel Racing"]or this which is, like its bigger brother, turning out to be a rock solid bit of kit that is just perfect for small jobs.[quote="NFT5"]

What size would you go with on the AZ4 for shooting MS clear.....1.2 or 1.3?
PreviousNext

Return to Tools and Supplies