Another Compressor Question

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:02 pm
Hi Guys,

Semi interested in a compressor upgrade. I found a "Industrial Air" 60 gal/240 volt,3.7 hp single stage unit that puts out 11.5 cfm @ 90 psi (would that be about 13 cfm at 40 ish?). Barely adequate or fairly decent?? I'm thinking this is off brand quality at best. Still just doing bike parts but ultimately might get into whole cars. Thoughts??

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:56 pm
Look at the CFM requirements for ALL your air tools. DA, wrenches, blast cabinet, spray gun(s), etc. Write them down so you don't forget.

Take the biggest CFM requirement and multiple by 10% or 15%. That is the minimum size I would go with. Waiting for a DA to catch up or having poor atomization while spray expensive paints is not worth skimping on the compressor for.

Personally, I want that CFM @ 90 PSI since most of the compressor manufacturers overrate their compressor output.

I bought this one around 15 years ago. Keep the oil fresh and change the filters and they will last a very long time.

AirCompressor2.jpg
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:50 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Look at the CFM requirements for ALL your air tools. DA, wrenches, blast cabinet, spray gun(s), etc. Write them down so you don't forget.

Take the biggest CFM requirement and multiple by 10% or 15%. That is the minimum size I would go with. Waiting for a DA to catch up or having poor atomization while spray expensive paints is not worth skimping on the compressor for.

Personally, I want that CFM @ 90 PSI since most of the compressor manufacturers overrate their compressor output.

I bought this one around 15 years ago. Keep the oil fresh and change the filters and they will last a very long time.

AirCompressor2.jpg
Great advice.....I'll look at my stuff.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:29 pm
Well, my compressor has been kind of running hot lately but I have been keeping an eye on it.

Tonight when I went to turn it on and check the auto drains, I found this green goop in the first water seperator!! The compressor was given to me a few years back so it didn't come with an owner's manual but I am pretty confident that it isn't supposed to do that.

So I've been looking for an old thread that had a lot of info on compressors and just can't locate it, so then I just started looking at Quincy compressors and there is a Quincy Compressor Direct Shop not too far in West Sac CA.

If it fits, do you guys think that a Quincy QT Pro 7.5-HP 80-Gallon Two-Stage Air Compressor
https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Quincy-271CS80VCB-Air-Compressor/p857.html is a good unit?

The CFM listing is spec'd at CFM at 90 PSI 23.6 @ 100 PSI

The Pig Barn is just a home shop, running a DA, Spray gun, blah blah blah and I'd also like to get a small blast cabinet some day.
Attachments
Old Compressor Green Fail.jpg
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:21 pm
If you get a chance read this from my purchase last March 2020....
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27952&p=208730&hilit=Eaton+compressor#p208730 You get a lot of bang for your buck with Eaton and you can get free shipping at times. That is one of their Quiet Air series I bought. It puts out 31 cfm at 100 psi with it's V4 design. We also added additional 10 foot air feed hose and moved the quiet box to another room for cleaner air pickup. And these compressors are quiet!!! They have even improved how quiet they are by introducing a new blue synthetic oil which knocks them down another 10 db. Don't get me wrong I have always liked the Quincy stuff but I think Eaton is just making a better compressor.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:08 pm
DarrelK wrote:If you get a chance read this from my purchase last March 2020....
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27952&p=208730&hilit=Eaton+compressor#p208730 You get a lot of bang for your buck with Eaton and you can get free shipping at times. That is one of their Quiet Air series I bought. It puts out 31 cfm at 100 psi with it's V4 design. We also added additional 10 foot air feed hose and moved the quiet box to another room for cleaner air pickup. And these compressors are quiet!!! They have even improved how quiet they are by introducing a new blue synthetic oil which knocks them down another 10 db. Don't get me wrong I have always liked the Quincy stuff but I think Eaton is just making a better compressor.

Darrel, thank you for the reply. That was one of the previous posts that I was looking for.

Quick update: I had emailed Quincy last night and they sent me a quote this morning. Their prices have gone up.

I looked through the Eaton website last night and was looking into the
https://eatoncompressor.com/product/7-5hp-quiet-air-compressor-single-phase-80-gallon-vertical-2/ 7.5 HP Quiet Air Compressor, Pressure Lubricated, 2 Stage, Single Phase, V4, PES07V080V1 which has a five-year factory warranty.

I compared the Eaton to the quote on a Quincy model QT-7.5 which is NOT pressure lubed (splash), has a one or two year warranty and the cfm specs were not as good, though much better than what I have been working with.

After talking it out loud with a buddy, the Eaton seems like a no brainer. But then I found out that the lead time was "sometime in August"... And there are no "cosmetically challenged" units around.

I called the salesperson at Quincy to ask if they had any 7.5 hp units on the floor in stock. The answer was "No", their backlog is only 16 days. BUT even though they have a shop within an hour of my place, I would still be charged around $600 for shipping.

So, I called Eaton back to place an order and Megan had left so I placed an order online and expect them to contact me tomorrow.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:20 pm
In the meantime, I found a Husky 7.5 hp model (??) on CL that is rated at 10.3 scfm@90 psi that looks to be in very good shape. I am going to go pick it up tomorrow and use it as an interim unit until the Eaton arrives to replace this dead unit.

The temp compressor should work as well or better than the old sad compressor and the new one should outshine it easily!!

Old Compressor Sad (2).jpg
Old Compressor Sad (1).jpg

I will need to enlarge my compressor shed to fit the new unit.
Darrel, do you happen to have the dimensions of your New Yellow Compressor? If possible, I'd like to get the framing done prior to receiving the new compressor, though I might just enlarge the concrete slab if necessary and wait to do the framing.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:30 pm
I'm on the road early tomorrow but should be wrapped up by mid afternoon. I'll get those figures for you then.... So when your Eaton comes in I think you'll be surprised at the build quality on these units. They are also laid out very logically for self service. Having come from reed valve plates on my old CH unit these disc valves look easy to service in comparison. Ohio businesses here have really been in full recovery mode so I'm not surprised they are backing up.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:48 am
thoughts on new air compressor fall into a certain category. ive read questions asked about air compressors, new garage/shop size, insulating,heating,cooling, lighting......

never read anyone say:
i should have bought a smaller compressor
i should have built my shop smaller
i should have insulated less.
i should have added less outlets.
i should have added less lighting.

but have read:
i should have bought a larger compressor
should have built my shop bigger................

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:34 am
tomsteve wrote:never read anyone say:

So true. :clap:
Chris
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies