Can you identify this product for me?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:35 pm
Hi,
I have been using this "fast lacquer thinner" I buy at the local supply store for a long time. Right now there is a shortage of it and they cannot get it... in the passed I have tried to identify who makes it with no luck!
They sold me some grow automotive 1501 wash thinner... but honestly after comparing it side by side many times, it just doesn't have the cutting power this stuff does.
Anyone know where this comes from, or who makes it? Thanks!

[img]
DSC00730.JPG
[/img]

[img]
DSC00731.JPG
[/img]
Attachments
DSC00731.JPG
DSC00730.JPG

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:53 pm
You have the name and address of the manufacturer right there in your hand. This is their website..... https://www.cumberlandproductsinc.com/ If you are having trouble getting it through a local dealer/jobber try and see if you can get it direct from the company. You might need to move up to a 5 gallon pail if they are having problems with 1 gallon pails. That big freeze in Texas closed down a lot of the "cracking" plants that made our solvents. These are still coming back online so supply chains are slowly gearing back up.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:44 pm
Thanks!

They want a company a name is the issue as. Most companies won't ship to me because its for professional use.

You don't happen to know what this "PPC" painters preferred choice thing is do you? Is it another company that sells the stuff?

Thats weird... I couldn't find this same site on my searches.

APPRECIATE !

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:18 pm
BTW,

Just an update. Cumberland was totally un responsive in calls and Emails. So zero luck getting the product from them and you cannot order directly off the site.

I was able to get my hands on a gallon elsewhere with the label like the one in the picture. I decided to start making my own version of this using toluene, acetone, isopropyle naptha and heptane. Cheaper that way ; )

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:03 pm
You have to be somewhat careful when it comes to "making" your own thinner/reducers. You don't know if the sources you are getting each stock from is a "virgin" source. There is a huge market out there for "reclaimed" solvents. Solvent washes are used in industry and do become contaminated with other things. These are then recycled with some only being run through rather crude/simple sand filters. That only gets the bigger stuff out so what is left can definitely screw up what a thinner or reducer is supposed to do...... Heptanes and Naphtha can be tricky in mixes.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:09 pm
I certainly considered that as well.

Since i'm using it for washing out a spray gun I figured its not a huge deal anyway. I wish Cumberland would allow me to buy direct. All of their solvents say 100% virgin on them. I would be willing to pay the shipping in order to have that sense of security.

Even on their site, that label for the PC-10 thinner is entirely different. I wonder if this thinner is being sold by another company. I guess I need to go into my jobbers again and get to the bottom of it!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:35 pm
If you are just making gun cleaner I wouldn't worry about it then. Thinners/reducers are more critical when you are depending upon them for their flowing/drying characteristics in the paint film.

Return to Tools and Supplies