FLG 5 1.8mm tip question

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:46 pm
Hi, after reading through the forums for a while I decided to pick up an FLG 5 spray gun so I can paint a few automotive projects. One is gas tank on a VTX 1800 and the other is a 1999 Ford Lightning. The gun I have, has a 1.4 tip. From my understanding this will work well with base and clears but not a 2k primer.

What do I need to do to change to a 1.8?When I search I see options for a needle and/or a fluid tip. I see options from other companies like Global. Are the tips/needles interchangeable? Do I have to stay with Devilbiss brand? Not sure what to get. Any suggestions?

He'll I thought about picking up a cheap HF gun just for the primer part seeing as I'm going to be sanding primer to at least 400 grit anyway. Thoughts on that?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I have read too much on this and it's all starting to run together. Thanks for the help.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:47 am
I spray primer just fine with a 1.4 tip, just thin it a little more.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:04 am
Ok, I will try it
This will be my first time spraying so do you have a guide or recommendation on how much more to thin it? Don't want to go overboard. Thanks

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:03 pm
The FLG5 needs a specific fluid tip and needle for 1.8mm and another for 2.0mm. The 1.3mm and 1.4mm fluid tips share a common needle.

The good news is that they're not overly expensive, certainly much cheaper than the same parts for a Pro Lite or similar.
Chris

Return to Tools and Supplies