HTE OR HVLP for Silver Metallic?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:36 am
Hi,
I thought I read somewhere not to use HTE on metallic? Is that correct? Looking to buy a new gun and need to decide. Thank you.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:32 pm
"HTE" is just one of many names for a gun that is designed to operate at lower pressures than the traditional high pressure guns which used up to 50psi. HVLP uses very low pressures but these can result in large atomised droplets.

High Effiency/High Transfer Efficiency/Compliant/Reduced Pressure guns operate at, typically around 2bar or 28psi. They produce fine atomisation (depending on size of tip and aircap) and can transfer more paint to the actual surface than an HVLP gun without losses in overspray that are common with high pressure guns.

So, they're actually the best choice for most needs.

When painting silvers, or any metallic or pearl, what you want is an even, just wet coat that will flow a little and lay the flake down very evenly, avoiding light and heavy spots where the differing drying times will allow the flake to settle too much and lay down flat or, if too dry, stand right up and have more sparkle than the surrounding area. Many painters do what is called a "drop coat" with metallics - this is where the final coat is sprayed on from a slightly increased distance, before the previous coat has fully flashed off. This is to get an even finish. Generally, an RP/HTE/HE gun will do a better job of this but technique and choice of fluid tip and aircap are also important.

Buy the best gun you can afford. There are good reasons why pros use SATA, Devilbiss and Iwata and not the junk from your local chain hardware store. I have guns that have been used daily for over 10 years and still spray like new. I've also made mistakes and thrown guns in the bin after a single use. Practice with it on some scrap panels before you start your actual job. Paint is expensive and you don't want to waste it. You can often get, from your local distributor, mixed colours from orders that were cancelled/never picked up etc.
Chris

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:28 am
Thank you! Very helpful, I appreciate it.

Return to Tools and Supplies