PPG Duracryl

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:01 pm
I have now decided to stick with the PPG Duracryl, which was my first choice. It turns out the sherwin williams isn't available here either, no lacquers are period. I have a source out of state.

Can anyone recommend the proper basecoats.? I would prefer to use an etch primer over an epoxy. Also, there are some places with no rust where I will not strip all the way to metal, such as door jamb. What should I use to seal this off? Which clears are available for this system?

Thanks in advance. Hopefully some of the products I can buy here.
64 Chevy - Bel Air, 2 door, 283, PG
79 Vespa - P125 all stock for now!

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 8:03 pm
Why Duracryl?It is a strong lacquer product but you have so many more options out there.I am diehard PPG but I try to stay away from lacquers.If you want to use lacquer then DCA 468 Clear will be your clear of choice.It sprays out nice and buffs great of course.as far as etching primers go you can use Dx1791 as long as you seal it with DP epoxie sprayed as a primer sealer.HTH.
Brian

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:13 pm
I have been thinking lacquer for a couple of reasons. Easy to apply, fix mistakes, and standard respirator is ok. I would like to use the urethane products, but I am worried that the finish will not be perfect since I am painting in my garage, and I would rather not spend hundreds of dollars on the fresh air respirator.
64 Chevy - Bel Air, 2 door, 283, PG
79 Vespa - P125 all stock for now!

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:42 pm
I can understand the safety concerns because the dangers are very real.I would just caution you against any false sense of security with lacquer.The high amount of solvents can be just as bad on your body as urethanes.You can get very clean jobs out of garage shops as well.Cleaning plays a big part of that.Either way you decide to go I wish you the best and if I can help with anything at all feel free to ask.HTH.
Brian

Return to Tools and Supplies