Is this a suitable beginner setup

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:41 pm
DarrelK wrote:So that's like about $1900 US. Not surprised really. But as you can probably suspect here NFT5 has a better handle on what you can get by with in your country..... odd, he had posted that link in another thread and it was working.....

Yeah there abouts. I was just watching a video with kevin tetz and he reinforced what you said regarding hp and tank capacity. I absolutely trust what NFT5 is saying, but being a first time spray job and no experience i think it could be a disaster being a noob with sub par air delivery. I think i'm going to give up on this idea and just wrap the car instead. By the time i have the compressor and gun and everything else i could just get it painted professionally as it's not a huge job just some minor repairs and respray. pretty sad realisation and i'm really gutted but thats life :( definitely can't afford everything it's going to cost for the equipment if i go full hog, was hoping it would be £600-700 all in but my estimation was way off :(

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:00 pm
Here's a picture of my compressor.
598554-air-compressor-3.2hp-oilless-50l-steel-tank-silent-475-lm-free-air-1440-rpm-62dba-98554.1919.jpg

I bought from Gasweld - http://www.gasweld.com.au and it cost me a little less than the $850AUD that it's advertised for now, less the GST which at 10% is a little less savage than your VAT. Specs are on the plate on the side of the compressor - just zoom in.

There is a supplier in the UK called Sprayguns Direct that I buy from regularly. So do a few of the other members on this forum. Prices are very competitive and they are both knowledgable and helpful. I'd recommend that you have a chat to them.

While I said that the compressor you linked would work, the noise level alone would be like standing next to the tracks as a train goes by. With the other issues, I don't think it's the best choice. Spray guns Direct have this one which I think is probably the minimum spec that you should be looking at:
https://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/index.php/compressors-kits/standard-compressors/fiac-workhorse-wr3hp-50p-1-belt-drive-air-compressor-50-litre-13-0-cfm.html

There is another one, the same, but with a 150l tank for only 15 quid more.

These are what I'd consider much better alternatives, even though minimum spec for painting a car. It seems that the next level up goes very quickly over 1000GBP.

As for the spray gun that comes with that kit, I'd make sure I put it in their bin before I left the store. Again, Sprayguns Direct can help. They have some very good guns in the budget to mid-price range and can advise you on the right setups for what you're painting.

Painting cars is expensive, both the paint and the equipment you need to apply it, not to mention the ancillaries. But if you buy good gear to start with you won't have to spend again to replace it when it dies or you realise it's not doing the job and you can't get the results you want. Satisfaction levels are extreme; after many years in this industry and the last 20 owning my own shop, I still get a kick out of doing a really good job. If you carry on with this as a hobby then you'll certainly experience this too, along with the pain and frustrations when things go wrong.

Sounds like I'm fobbing you off, or on a commission. Unfortunately neither, but this forum is about giving good advice and I think that what I've recommended is the best course for you. That doesn't mean that we want you to not come back. Heaven forbid! You'll have lots of questions along the way and all the guys here love to help..... provided you post lots of pictures. :wink:
Chris
Previous

Return to Tools and Supplies