Is this a suitable beginner setup

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:25 pm
https://www.sgs-engineering.com/sc50v-k2-50l-spray-kit

Is this a suitable setup for a beginner sprayer for larger scale applications (entire car) Thanks

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:39 am
I think NFT5 should comment on that compressor as your English spec.s for compressors are more like what he sees there in Austrailia. From my prospective here that looks smallish especially when they don't state what pressure that cfm is delivered at.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:05 pm
I guarantee you that CFM rating is at a real low pressure.
A pressure that is way lower than the tank pressure cut off which means
the replacement air for what you are doing will never keep up.
Most tanks are set to 90 psi or above, that's what the pump is pumping
against so that is the CFM rating at that tank psi rating that's relevant.

Now if your tank is set to 10 psi max, you may get that 14 CFM.
But as the pressure in the tank increases, the pumps CFM output decreases.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:18 am
JCCLARK wrote:I guarantee you that CFM rating is at a real low pressure.
A pressure that is way lower than the tank pressure cut off which means
the replacement air for what you are doing will never keep up.
Most tanks are set to 90 psi or above, that's what the pump is pumping
against so that is the CFM rating at that tank psi rating that's relevant.

Now if your tank is set to 10 psi max, you may get that 14 CFM.
But as the pressure in the tank increases, the pumps CFM output decreases.

So it's no good? What part of the spec needs changing? the size of the tank?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:52 pm
tropicalpalmtree wrote:
So it's no good? What part of the spec needs changing? the size of the tank?

converting liters to gallons, that is a 13 gallon tank. compressor rated at 14.3 cubic feet per minute. that tank is about 1. 7 cubic feet of air.

basically, you could run an air brush with it.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:59 pm
There are a lot of compressor threads on here....I think one thing that just keeps ringing through and through is "more" is better when it comes to compressors. A larger tank, 60 to 80 gallon, a minimum of 5 horsepower, larger 2,3, and 4 cyclinder iron pumps should net you at least 16 to 18 cfm at 90 psi. That general formula prevents you from having a "rainmaker" rather than a capable compressor.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:47 pm
OP, that compressor will work.

A 3hp motor is at the limit here for single phase where we're limited to 15 amps at 240 volts. Not sure what the limits are in the UK but imagine they'd be similar, 20A maybe?

The capacity of the pump is all important since, regardless of what size tank you have, the pump needs to be able to replace the air that you draw out after you use up the buffer in the tank, plus a margin to give it a chance to rest. No motor will cope with a 100% duty cycle over an extended period.

Assuming that pumps are rated in the UK similar to how they are here, 14.6cfm is fine so long as you use a gun that uses less than about 11cfm. Something like a Devilbiss Pro Lite with an RP, not HVLP, setup, would be fine. That compressor would struggle a bit with air sanders running at full open but would be ok if they ran at 40-50psi. Most will.

As for tank sizes, as I said earlier, extra size in the tank only gives you a buffer when you first start. Once that's used up the pump has to replace the air in the tank. Smaller tanks can suffer a bit from water not separating out and this is exacerbated by direct drive setups like the one you're looking at. They get very hot, as does the air that comes out. However, there are lots of ways to cool and dry the air between the tank and your gun.

This compressor is the one I bought to run my new shop. At 475l/min or 16.8cfm it's the next size up from the one you're looking at, and works a treat. Only issue is water production but I can handle that (with about 15m of copper tube as a heat exchanger), especially given that it makes 1/8 the noise (62dB vs 97dB). Your neighbours won't be impressed. But note that mine has the same size, 50l, tank as the one you linked.

Don't be confused by the different ways that tank sizes are specified either. We both measure a tank's capacity by its cubic volume, therefore a 50 litre tank will hold 50 litres of water. I'd pay money to see someone fit 80 gallons of water (even the anaemic 3.7 litre US version) into an "80 gallon" tank. That said, their preference for a bigger, vertical tank is something that I'd like to see more of here.
Chris

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:54 pm
DarrelK wrote:There are a lot of compressor threads on here....I think one thing that just keeps ringing through and through is "more" is better when it comes to compressors. A larger tank, 60 to 80 gallon, a minimum of 5 horsepower, larger 2,3, and 4 cyclinder iron pumps should net you at least 16 to 18 cfm at 90 psi. That general formula prevents you from having a "rainmaker" rather than a capable compressor.

Oh god, if that's the case i am screwed. A compressor of that spec here in the UK is well over a £1000, before i have the gun and all the other products to complete the paint job.

Non-Lurker

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:05 pm
NFT5 wrote:OP, that compressor will work.

A 3hp motor is at the limit here for single phase where we're limited to 15 amps at 240 volts. Not sure what the limits are in the UK but imagine they'd be similar, 20A maybe?

The capacity of the pump is all important since, regardless of what size tank you have, the pump needs to be able to replace the air that you draw out after you use up the buffer in the tank, plus a margin to give it a chance to rest. No motor will cope with a 100% duty cycle over an extended period.

Assuming that pumps are rated in the UK similar to how they are here, 14.6cfm is fine so long as you use a gun that uses less than about 11cfm. Something like a Devilbiss Pro Lite with an RP, not HVLP, setup, would be fine. That compressor would struggle a bit with air sanders running at full open but would be ok if they ran at 40-50psi. Most will.

As for tank sizes, as I said earlier, extra size in the tank only gives you a buffer when you first start. Once that's used up the pump has to replace the air in the tank. Smaller tanks can suffer a bit from water not separating out and this is exacerbated by direct drive setups like the one you're looking at. They get very hot, as does the air that comes out. However, there are lots of ways to cool and dry the air between the tank and your gun.

This compressor is the one I bought to run my new shop. At 475l/min or 16.8cfm it's the next size up from the one you're looking at, and works a treat. Only issue is water production but I can handle that (with about 15m of copper tube as a heat exchanger), especially given that it makes 1/8 the noise (62dB vs 97dB). Your neighbours won't be impressed. But note that mine has the same size, 50l, tank as the one you linked.

Don't be confused by the different ways that tank sizes are specified either. We both measure a tank's capacity by its cubic volume, therefore a 50 litre tank will hold 50 litres of water. I'd pay money to see someone fit 80 gallons of water (even the anaemic 3.7 litre US version) into an "80 gallon" tank. That said, their preference for a bigger, vertical tank is something that I'd like to see more of here.

I'm really not about the electrical side of things man. I wouldn't know how to find such info? It appears the gun that comes with that particular kit uses 6cfm.

Unfortunately that website you posted for the compressor isn't working on my end and is throwing up an error message :( but i'd be really interested to see it if you could just copy paste the product title from that site for me to google.

Thanks for the detailed reply. It's certainly more complicated finding this stuff than i thought it would be. Isn't 80 US GALLONS about 320 litres? Cheapest one i can find at that size is £1400 here.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:20 pm
So that's like about $1900 US. Not surprised really. But as you can probably suspect here NFT5 has a better handle on what you can get by with in your country..... odd, he had posted that link in another thread and it was working.....
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies