North Star Compressor To Start Out?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:33 pm
This is my first post on this forum! Hello to all!

I have a compressor in my garage, a North Star Single Stage 2 HP, 20-Gallon, 5.0 CFM which does pretty dang good with air tools, etc. I'm thinking about trying it out on some panels on a couple of my cars, anybody have thoughts on this as a starter compressor for auto paint? I have been reading about 2 stage, larger volume compressors here on the forum, but if I am not looking to start doing whole cars, I'm hoping that this would suffice. As I continue, I'll replace it with a better one for sure, but I am about to try to do some paintwork on my daily driver, just to practice and learn how to mess it up, until I do something right, lol. Thoughts? Also, I was given an Air Gunner HTE 2 gun (Anest-Iwata) which is also what I am looking to start with. I know there are much better out there, but looking for thoughts/suggestions on this setup. I hope to just get painting with this, and hopefully somewhat good results.
Thanks!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:45 pm
Well, take a few minutes and read some of the last 2 theads. 5 cfm is nothing for most of these guns that are needing more like 10, 12, 15 cfm. Look up the spec.s on that gun and see what it's continuous cfm draw is......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:02 pm
DarrelK wrote:Well, take a few minutes and read some of the last 2 theads. 5 cfm is nothing for most of these guns that are needing more like 10, 12, 15 cfm. Look up the spec.s on that gun and see what it's continuous cfm draw is......

Thank you sir. On the specs of the gun, what shows what CFM it needs? I see a chart in the manual but not a CFM callout...

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:45 pm
dh_noob_painter wrote:Thank you sir. On the specs of the gun, what shows what CFM it needs? I see a chart in the manual but not a CFM callout...

For an Iwata Air Gunza AZ3 it depends on the tip size, assuming a 1.3 tip you the sheet says 7.06 cfm.

You compressor is going to give you trouble.

What tip size do you have on that gun? That is a great gun to start with and to keep. Later on you can add a larger tip for spraying poly fillers like FFG2
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:37 pm
OldFatBald wrote:
dh_noob_painter wrote:Thank you sir. On the specs of the gun, what shows what CFM it needs? I see a chart in the manual but not a CFM callout...

For an Iwata Air Gunza AZ3 it depends on the tip size, assuming a 1.3 tip you the sheet says 7.06 cfm.

What tip size do you have on that gun? That is a great gun to start with and to keep. Later on you can add a larger tip for spraying poly fillers like FFG2

Again, something that I cannot find in the minimal manual given. I do not see where the CFM is noted nor the tip size. I'll keep looking. Whew, in over my head.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:24 am
There is a LOT of both tech. and craft when it comes to painting a car. Good painting starts with a certain "level" of equipment performance. And that does not mean expensive it just means there are certain physical requirements needed to lay down a good job. If it's anything from a panel or two up to a semi-trailer the same methodology is needed for any of it.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:33 pm
dh_noob_painter wrote:
OldFatBald wrote:

Again, something that I cannot find in the minimal manual given. I do not see where the CFM is noted nor the tip size. I'll keep looking. Whew, in over my head.

Here you go:
Air Gunsa.jpg
Air Gunsa.jpg (52.34 KiB) Viewed 5212 times
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:45 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:
dh_noob_painter wrote:
OldFatBald wrote:

Here you go:
Air Gunsa.jpg

Thank you sir, that is in the manual provided, but in my ignorance (THE reason I am here on this forum) I do not see where it says this gun has a tip of X size, or Y CFM. Help!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:07 pm
dh_noob_painter wrote: I do not see where it says this gun has a tip of X size, or Y CFM.

Yeah, pretty hard to find.

AZ3_specs.jpg
AZ3_specs.jpg (61.52 KiB) Viewed 5204 times

On the gun, the sizes are stamped on the aircap and the fluid tip/nozzle.
Chris

Return to Tools and Supplies