Looking for the right setup

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:15 pm
I was directed to this forum by Painter Dave. I spray metal and wood products and have a 60 gal compressor that has a cfm of about 12 @ 40 psi. I need help finding a setup that allows me to shoot a wide variety of products. Thanks for the help.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:12 pm
So you are probably pretty obviously looking for more CFM. Do you have a budget? Are you looking for something to get you by for awhile or do you want this to be in an "investment" quality tool that you don't plan on doing major service or replacing for quite some time? I think it makes a big difference as what you want/expect out of a unit. The compressor is the horsepower/fuel for ALL your air tools......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:11 pm
Thanks guys, you know how to play this CFM game better than i do, i know he was looking at air assisted spray set ups.

again thanks for chiming in.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:40 am
N1kaplan wrote:have a 60 gal compressor that has a cfm of about 12 @ 40 psi. I need help finding a setup that allows me to shoot a wide variety of products.

What do you mean by "setup"? Do you want a gun to suit your existing compressor or are you looking to replace/upgrade both compressor and gun?

Maybe give us an idea of the types of things that you're spraying. Sizes, type of paint etc.
Chris

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:49 pm
Hi guys,

So i increased the piping and regulator size to 3/4", which increased my cfm to 12.39 @ 132 psi, which i calculated thru help from youtube. Now, eventhough untested, I'm hoping that issue is handled, now i just need to buy a new gun. I want to be able to spray a range of products from metal primers and finishes, to a poly finish on a wood table.
I'm not familiar with the brands of guns, and was hoping you guys could recommend something midrange. In other words, i spend money on quality and take care of my equipment, but at the same time, i prob won't be painting any cars going to Pebble Beach this year, so can't afford to drop a thousand bucks on one gun.
Thanks a lot for any input.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:27 am
Look into a Tekna, comes with a 1.3 1.4 1.5 tip i believe.
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:08 pm
Tekna is a nice gun but limited tip size to 1.5mm may be a problem for primers and maybe acrylics.

Some other options:

Devilbiss FLG5
Under $150USD. Excellent light/medium duty gun with great pattern and ability to lay down smoothly. Good quality budget gun but not recommended for trade or constant use.

Available in 1.3, 1.4, 1.8 and 2.0mm and needs needle and fluid tip to change sizes - adds about $40 per size.

Iwata AZ3 HTE2
Starts at a bit over $120USD and comes in a large range of sizes (up to 3.5mm). Slightly smaller fan than the FLG5 but built like a brick outhouse and super easy to maintain and clean. Low air consumption at 7-11cfm, depending on tip size. Extra sizes (tip and needle) are about $90 so almost better to buy two or three guns in the sizes you want.

This gun is a personal favourite for me. There are better guns for large jobs but this one fits the bill nicely for small to medium jobs.

Devilbiss GPG
Really quite good all purpose gun,essentially a Pro Lite without some of the frills, built tough for constant use. About $300USD and extra setups available in large range of sizes add $56/size (needle and fluid tip).

Iwata W400
Next level at around $350USD. Premium gun at a very reasonable price. Sizes from 0.8mm through to over 2mm. Needle and fluid tip adds about $130/size.
Chris

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:21 am
N1kaplan wrote:So i increased the piping and regulator size to 3/4", which increased my cfm to 12.39 @ 132 psi,

From 12@40 to 12.39@132, just from increasing pipe size?
Somethings wrong.

The compressor replaces air to the tank that is at a pressure of usually 90psi
or higher, that's what the compressor pumps against and that's the pressure
rating the pump will be replacing air at. 12@40 is very low,
Compressor pumps never pump against such a low tank psi. once filled.
at 90psi the CFM will be much lower. (a spec at 40psi is useless)
As the tank pressure increases the pump output CFM goes down, way down.
The CFM measured at 132psi is way more than the 40, to much so of a difference.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:07 pm
Yes piping and regulators can not increase CFM. That is strictly up to your compressor and it's rating.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:46 pm
:goodpost: :goodpost:
I agree, there is something wrong with the CFM calculation.

As far as spray guns go, I bought my Iwata LPH400 on eBay. It had been used but was in decent shape, so I ordered a rebuild kit for it. Less than half the price of new gun and it has served me well for over a decade now.

I bought the Iwata AZ3 HTE2 at Chris's recommendation for a primer gun. It has a 2.0 tip and does a great job with build primers and polyester primers.

One other gun I have is the Tekna Copper with the 7e7 1.3 and 1.4 tip sets. This is a great gun for larger jobs as the fan size is much larger and it has a bigger cup on it.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies