Quincy Compressor

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:15 pm
Bolts, moving the air box is simple. It unbolts from the frame that is on the side of the compressor. There are two black rubber hoses that feed it. You just go to the local hardware and pick up a couple of slip on steel, plastic, whatever couplers and ad more hose length and connec the box back up. I love the fact that in my wood operation I can pull from a cleaner area.
And on the oil thing.... yes, you do have break in almost any engine, motor, compressor with regular mineral oil before you can switch to any of the synthetics. On the hour thing....we just go by their hours recommendations based on our normal usage. And, no, that oil is not cheap but I figure that if it is that much quieter it has to be lubricating the hell out of stuff internally and making my compressor live longer. For me it is not so much the cost of replacement it is the down time which costs me big bucks when I'm held up with compressor problems.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:17 pm
DarrelK wrote:Bolts, moving the air box is simple. It unbolts from the frame that is on the side of the compressor. There are two black rubber hoses that feed it. You just go to the local hardware and pick up a couple of slip on steel, plastic, whatever couplers and ad more hose length and connec the box back up. I love the fact that in my wood operation I can pull from a cleaner area.
And on the oil thing.... yes, you do have break in almost any engine, motor, compressor with regular mineral oil before you can switch to any of the synthetics. On the hour thing....we just go by their hours recommendations based on our normal usage. And, no, that oil is not cheap but I figure that if it is that much quieter it has to be lubricating the hell out of stuff internally and making my compressor live longer. For me it is not so much the cost of replacement it is the down time which costs me big bucks when I'm held up with compressor problems.

Got it thank you for the info! Now I need to figure out how to get this quiet air compressor and thats not so simple. I am not much of a painter just do it for fun so it will be a while before I get a new air compressor broken in.

If you have air compressor problems what do you do? Repair yourself? Who fixes air compressors?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:18 pm
The Eaton line of compressors particularly lend themselves to DIY repair work. They carry a complete line of parts and also are affiliated with repair centers all over the US. Almost any decent sized metro area that has auto body shops will have local compressor service people. Eaton even has a large local area they service.... check it out....https://eatoncompressor.com/service-support/
We had one minor part they wanted to upgrade on my compressor. They told me about it at 4 that afternoon, had the part by noon the next day.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:57 pm
I am trying to get a 5hp eaton or emax 80g air compressor. How would I move that thing to the location considering its like hundreds of pounds? Would 3 guys be able to do it?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:19 pm
So we knew that it was going to be bolted upright on to a pretty solid pallet. We also knew that the driver would be using a drop platform tailgate and using a pallet jack to get the compressor as close to our entrance as possible. We are all concrete in our driveway so he put it fairly close to our 36 inch wide walk-in door. We took off the large air box once there which allowed it to fit through that door way. We then jacked up each corner of the pallet and added a few extra boards here and there and then mounted Harbor Freight heavy duty caster like these to each corner....https://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-poly ... 69848.html These easily handle the weight and the slight irregularities of our concrete. From there just the 2 of us wheeled in upright to it's final place where we kept the wheels in place but bracketed the whole thing down.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:49 am
Tried to blow up a look a the base of the compressor here...
Attachments
blowup of base.jpg
blowup of base.jpg (72.63 KiB) Viewed 8652 times

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:45 pm
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That's exactly how mine got where it is and has been for many years now. In fact it's still mounted to the pallet it arrived on. That gives me room to reach the drain valve when necessary.

Notice the copper lines running back and forth across the wall before entering a filter (silver), then the refrigerated drier (green) and more copper lines toward the booth.

Sorry for the cluttered mess, but when you have more than one vehicle apart for restoration space becomes limited. That and I need to seriously reorganize. :whoops:

Compressor, drier and shelves.JPG
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:15 am
Question about the emax quiet blue oil:

On the emax website they have 2 quiet blue oils, one says piston, and another one says air cooled. Which one do I need? Sounds like both are similar and can be used for air compressors.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:59 am
Hmmmm.... only two types of that oil are for rotary or piston to my knowledge.... This is what I run in mine which says for pistons.....
https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/EM ... 07388.html

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:26 pm
Update

I got the emax 5hp 80g! No more trying to paint with the 26g kobalt! Had my uncle wire up a 240 outlet for me and connected it up and now I am finally in business although I have yet to really test it out much.

I have to say that although it seems like this is not as loud as other air compressors I heard, it still is somewhat loud but its more like a rumbling sound to me.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help!
PreviousNext

Return to Tools and Supplies