Proper Mask Filters??

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:10 pm
I should clarify that I live in a rural area on 7 acres of land. My garage is about 180 feet from the road and a long way from the nearest neighbor. Hence blowing the stuff out the garage door isn't an issue here.

I sprayed once in a high dollar professional downdraft booth. It was amazing watching the exhaust fans in the floor suck the spray so fast that it literally wrapped around the panel as soon as it left the gun.

The owner said that he could have two guys painting different colors in there at the same time without cross contamination. Of course it cost him over 100k to have it installed.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:40 pm
Rebel Racing wrote:what about a booth that has a fan ( on the outside of the booth) pushing in outside air and a fan on the other side sucking out the air. Unless it created a windstorm, would that not create a good airflow

Quite common. Good for situations where better spread over the intake filters is desired via a plenum with balancing dividers. Fans in series like this may have a slightly easier life but total movement of air is only equal to that of a single fan. Fans in parallel, however, will produce air movement equal to double that of a single fan.

So, the trick is to have low resistance inlet filtering and fans, in parallel, on the exhaust.

'68 Coronet R/T wrote:I should clarify that I live in a rural area on 7 acres of land. My garage is about 180 feet from the road and a long way from the nearest neighbor. Hence blowing the stuff out the garage door isn't an issue here.

I sprayed once in a high dollar professional downdraft booth. It was amazing watching the exhaust fans in the floor suck the spray so fast that it literally wrapped around the panel as soon as it left the gun.

The owner said that he could have two guys painting different colors in there at the same time without cross contamination. Of course it cost him over 100k to have it installed.

Fair enough.

Yes, downdraught booths are very good. We had a training session at Axalta with 6 guys in the booth, each spraying a guard, different colours. Absolutely no problem with overspray, but we were told to aim at the panel, not the next trainee. :happy: Side downdraughts are a bit trickier as the spray gets sucked away from the panel, but still, very effective if done right.
Chris
Previous

Return to Tools and Supplies