Looking for Setup recommendations to paint my Toyota Tundra

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:58 pm
I am new to this forum and have been browsing a bit. I want to repaint my 2008 Toyota Tundra since the clear coat is peeling on the top of all 4 doors. I currently own a older Craftsman 60 gallon 2 stage 7hp 175psi compressor. it says it puts out 12.5 CFM at 90 psi. I have been experimenting with some Devilbiss off of ebay and they both have the TE20 caps so i ordered the T110 cap and 1.4mm tip to have as both of my Devilbiss guns are 1.3mm tips. I had the older Finish line guns as i started a few years back.

I am wanting to know if an Iwata gun is worth buying for clear as I get a lot of orange peel with my clear at this time. I started to paint new fender flares and had a headache at the local paint supply to match the Superwhite 040 paint. They sold me the PPG Jobline and I thought white was an easy color to match. So they tell me I have to pay 250 for a quart of paint to get a match (PPG Deltron) so I asked for my money back since the color was super bright white and my truck is like a bone white. I ended up researching local supply houses and went to a new paint supply that sold me Valspar paint and it matches like 95%. of course my truck is older and it would not match 100% as the Florida sun is brutal here as my truck lives outside :).

I am wanting to know which Iwata gun is good since i am now planning on respraying my whole truck in my backyard or possibly my 2 car garage. The only problem is my garage is 20 feet and my truck doesnt fit :(.

I prematurely just ordered the Iwata IWA5660 1.3MM LPH400-134LVX gun from Amazon and am confused as others say to get a W400. Please provide input on guns paint compressor etc as I am planning on buying all the things i need to get this project underway.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:32 am
There are lots of other posts covering your questions so I'll not spend a lot of time on each.

Compressor 7hp and 12.5cfm, even at 90psi? Must be Shetlands.

The Devilbiss gun(s) you have (Pro Lite I'd guess), when fitted with the TE20 aircap uses 12.7cfm and will struggle with the rating on your compressor. However, with a 1.3mm tip and T110 aircap, will have no problem. Usage is 9.4cfm.

That Iwata you've bought is an LVLP gun, which is probably about the worst thing you could do to fix an excessive peel problem. That's not to say it isn't a good gun but needs a steep learning curve, even for a pro. It uses 9.8cfm which is within the capacity of your compressor.

The Pro Lite with T110 gives one of the flattest finishes around but, as with any high performance/professional gun, needs some practice to get right. No gun, out of the box, will fix a technique problem. Get a practice panel and practice at different settings until you can consistently get a finish you're happy with. As a starting point I run my Pro Lites with T110 caps at 28psi, full fan turned in just enough to give an even coverage and fluid about 2.5 turns out from fully closed. Spray at round 150mm from the panel and use a slower reducer and activator.

I'm sure that we've only recently covered the whole Toyota 040 matching thing. Bottom line is that if you buy cheap paint you'll not be as likely to get good matches off the machine and if you want to have it eye matched then you have to pay for that, too.

Tundra Lu wrote:The only problem is my garage is 20 feet and my truck doesnt fit :(.

Get a smaller truck.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:50 am
Chis,

ijust checked my compressor. It says 12.8 cfm displacement. I am now researching my compressor. At any rate I don't plan to resprsy my truck all at once as it is alot for a newbie like to me to tackle. I did read the beginners guide and it is helping with a lot of my questions as i am browsing the board. My truck was repainted by Toyota in 2010 due to an issue with no clear on my Superwhite color. The dealer used Basecoat Clearcoat and for some reason, it is starting to flake on the top of the 4 doors. I was thinking due to old age now when they re sprayed it it has massive orange peel and real wavy looking when looked at from the sides. I am in Florida so it is warm i already have slow reducers for sure to battle the heat here.

I am picking up a panel or 2 to practice first as paint is not cheap and dont want to learn on my own vehicle. Thanks for your valuable input.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:34 am
NFT5 wrote:There are lots of other posts covering your questions so I'll not spend a lot of time on each.

Compressor 7hp and 12.5cfm, even at 90psi? Must be Shetlands.

The Devilbiss gun(s) you have (Pro Lite I'd guess), when fitted with the TE20 aircap uses 12.7cfm and will struggle with the rating on your compressor. However, with a 1.3mm tip and T110 aircap, will have no problem. Usage is 9.4cfm.

That Iwata you've bought is an LVLP gun, which is probably about the worst thing you could do to fix an excessive peel problem. That's not to say it isn't a good gun but needs a steep learning curve, even for a pro. It uses 9.8cfm which is within the capacity of your compressor.

The Pro Lite with T110 gives one of the flattest finishes around but, as with any high performance/professional gun, needs some practice to get right. No gun, out of the box, will fix a technique problem. Get a practice panel and practice at different settings until you can consistently get a finish you're happy with. As a starting point I run my Pro Lites with T110 caps at 28psi, full fan turned in just enough to give an even coverage and fluid about 2.5 turns out from fully closed. Spray at round 150mm from the panel and use a slower reducer and activator.

I'm sure that we've only recently covered the whole Toyota 040 matching thing. Bottom line is that if you buy cheap paint you'll not be as likely to get good matches off the machine and if you want to have it eye matched then you have to pay for that, too.

Tundra Lu wrote:The only problem is my garage is 20 feet and my truck doesnt fit :(.

Get a smaller truck.

Wow I got the Kiwami gun in my hands and sprayed a test panel for Basecoat and then proceeded to clear it and wow it looks Amazing. I was also able to pickup a door panel last night to practice sanding, do body work etc..

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:39 am
Tundra Lu wrote:Wow I got the Kiwami gun in my hands

Kiwami? That's an upgrade to the W101 which is a gun that's near 20 years old and nothing even vaguely like the LVLP W400 you said you'd ordered. The W101 is a side mount gravity cup (which isn't a bad thing) but is high pressure with a minimum requirement of 35psi although actual air usage is relatively low at about 200lpm. The fan size on the old one was only about 200mm (compared to 300mm on a Pro Lite) so it's a gun better suited to smaller jobs like bars. I've had a couple of the Star equivalents and love them. That said, it is an Iwata and quality should be right up there with the best. For a bigger job though I'd choose the Pro Lite every time. Maybe you need to spend some time practicing and dialling in the Pro Lite.

Edit: Correction - apparently there is a new centre top mount version of the Kiwami. I did watch a Youtube video on it and it actually looks ok. Nice tulip shaped pattern which looks very even and seems to put down a squarer pattern on the panel - a bit like the new SATAs and Devilbiss guns, but, as I said above, nowhere near their 300mm+ pattern size.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:00 pm
NFT5 wrote:
Tundra Lu wrote:Wow I got the Kiwami gun in my hands

Kiwami? That's an upgrade to the W101 which is a gun that's near 20 years old and nothing even vaguely like the LVLP W400 you said you'd ordered. The W101 is a side mount gravity cup (which isn't a bad thing) but is high pressure with a minimum requirement of 35psi although actual air usage is relatively low at about 200lpm. The fan size on the old one was only about 200mm (compared to 300mm on a Pro Lite) so it's a gun better suited to smaller jobs like bars. I've had a couple of the Star equivalents and love them. That said, it is an Iwata and quality should be right up there with the best. For a bigger job though I'd choose the Pro Lite every time. Maybe you need to spend some time practicing and dialling in the Pro Lite.

Edit: Correction - apparently there is a new centre top mount version of the Kiwami. I did watch a Youtube video on it and it actually looks ok. Nice tulip shaped pattern which looks very even and seems to put down a squarer pattern on the panel - a bit like the new SATAs and Devilbiss guns, but, as I said above, nowhere near their 300mm+ pattern size.

I ordered this one: ANEST IWATA KIWAMI4-13BA4 1.3mm Spray Gun without Cup and the LPH400 LVX 1.3 tip. I also ordered the 1.3 tip with the Ti10 cap for the Pso lite to see how it does with clear.

I also found a Tundra rear door to practice spraying on and man i sprayed it with the Kiwami4 and am in Heaven. That is an awesome gun as It laid basecoat and clear so smooth i rushed to order another one..haha.

I also ordered a gallon of PPG Deltron DBC in SuperWhite 040 and it is enroute. The truck only has 2 door dings in the bed and a small one on the passenger door so don't need a lot of body work.

I found a Sherwin Williams Auto paint supply down the street and managed to pick up the Finish 1 FC720 as well to spray on my test door.

I am trying to get a game plan to get this truck painted as I am going to be taking it apart here in a couple of days. I just want to make sure i have all the materials in hand first.

Thanks for the feedback as you guys are the Gurus.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:40 am
That Kiwami looks interesting. Good quality mid-range gun at a sensible mid-range price. Makes it easier for DIYers and apprentices to get into the Iwata range. Devilbiss have done the same, using the GPG, as have SATA, but their idea of midrange price is to take your telephone number and add two digits.

I'll be interested to see what you think about the Pro Lite with 1.3mm and T110 aircap. I love mine. Today's little effort using Cromax L400 acrylic in straight Jet Black.

20220427_142540.jpg
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:46 pm
NFT5 wrote:That Kiwami looks interesting. Good quality mid-range gun at a sensible mid-range price. Makes it easier for DIYers and apprentices to get into the Iwata range. Devilbiss have done the same, using the GPG, as have SATA, but their idea of midrange price is to take your telephone number and add two digits.

I'll be interested to see what you think about the Pro Lite with 1.3mm and T110 aircap. I love mine. Today's little effort using Cromax L400 acrylic in straight Jet Black.

20220427_142540.jpg

Chris,

Wow, that looks Awesome. I am getting my PPG DBC gallon today so will be spraying my test panel soon. WIll try the Iwta and the Prolite with the T110 aircap soon enough :).

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:27 pm
I got my 2 gallons of PPG Deltron DBC in super white and WOW it matches 100% like my current truck paint. I am excited to get started. I was able to pick up Finis1 FC720 to play around with for a clear but am worried that it is too cheap to use with the PPG paint. Looking at also Tamco 2104 clear to maybe go with for the end result for my personal truck. I am keeping it as I have had it since 2008 and it only has 50k miles only.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:27 pm
NFT5 wrote:That Kiwami looks interesting. Good quality mid-range gun at a sensible mid-range price. Makes it easier for DIYers and apprentices to get into the Iwata range. Devilbiss have done the same, using the GPG, as have SATA, but their idea of midrange price is to take your telephone number and add two digits.

20220427_142540.jpg

I ordered 2 T110 aircaps from Fleabay thinking they were real. Sure enough, they are an exact copies of a T20 :(. I am on the hunt for a T110 air cap in the states. Also got taken for a fake GTI pro lite. Ended up buying a used like new real one on Facebook Marketplace from a local. It is the Real deal with 1.2,1.3. and 14

Decided to pick u pa used 80 Gallon compressor to satisfy any paint gun i want to use. Boy this is addciting. I was able to re paint and clear the roof and all 4 doors. The roof came out awesome but the doors have a nasty run and on the top of the pillars it came out with alot of orange peel. The funny thing is the rest of the 4 doors came out pretty **** good for my 1st time. I stopped on the truck to get the 80 gallon compressor up and running to spray wtih it and not worry about having enough air. This compressor weighs like 700 lbs as it is Heavy.

I also found a local dealer that carriers Matrix MS78 HS clear for a good price and figure give it a try as well.
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies