Sprayfine turbine

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:33 pm
After years of searching I finally pulled the trigger on a turbine paint system.
Sprayfine 5stage with the gravity spray gun and a 1.0 tip.
Any tips and trick wit this unit?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:09 am
A better question would be.... What is your background in using spray equipment? I only ask that because if you are coming from current automotive type guns you'll be rethinking about how you spray and changing up your technique. If you are coming from NO background in using guns then things can be actually easier for you. First, tip, why did you spec. a 1.0 tip/cap with your set up? With a 5 stage you are going to have more cap psi and generally a 1.3 is going to allow you to shoot automotive coatings a lot easier than that 1.0. A 1.3 with the 5 stage comes closer to mimicing a "normal" compressed air HVLP/LVLP system. How much hose did you spec. with your system? I'd run a minimum of 20 feet plus the "whip" flexy hose at the gun end. I like to run 40 feet with my 6 stage unit setting just outside my building.
If you want to get a good leg up on using this system try to get some old fenders, hoods, door, etc. for practice. Find a local paint jobber (atuo paint supplier) and see if they have some odds and end of mismatched colors in base colors, single stage urethanes, and buy at least a quart or two of the clears you think you might be using. Don't be surprised if you might need to "tweek" (yes, even with a 5 stage) your mix with a little more reducer than normal......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:25 pm
Just the guy I was hoping to reply to this I was going to private message and ask for advice but I figure I’ll start a post so others can share their knowledge.

I’ve been spraying for roughly ten years. Compress air and guns of course but always fascinated about turbine systems. Also always thought maybe switching to turbine for at home use would of been better in my case but I chose to go with 1.0 on the side and maybe I was under the wrong impression with a 3 stage unit.(gun comes with the 1.3). Hose is 25’ft.

Lucky for me is I work at a paint jobber part time so I have access to missed mix paint. Also a body shop full time so plenty of scrap panels.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:41 pm
Well, that's pretty cool....you have access to paint stuff.... Yeah, everything is going 5 and 6 stage now. Industrial app.s are up to 9 stages. Your hose length is fine, maybe pickup a flexy whip for it sometime. Okay, so the 1.3 just works better with a 5 stage and auto paints. The 1.0 will work but you may find that you have to add a little more reducer when you spray.
Things, you will notice, have to adapt to.... is probably not as big of fan pattern as you are used to, you may need to move closer to your surface than you were used to, you should have a lot less overspray although you might have more orange peel at first. When using reducers/thinners etc., always use the slowest stuff you can get. If you feel your gun handle getting actually hot when shooting consider putting some freezer packs by the turbine intakes. On that heating thing.... particularly watch having a hot gun handle when shooting primers.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:10 pm
It’s here
Attachments
C33A2A53-F7BE-4E8A-9B3E-7F4DCCCD5D45.jpeg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:06 am
Hey, so let the games begin.....

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 1:40 am
I’m also considering buying a turbine unit to spray my car. The sprayfine 5 stage seems like the best value. I started looking at the tptools unit but all of darrelk’s posts about more stages made me lean towards the sprayfine. Any feedback on this unit?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 10:54 pm
So, honestly the best value is to build your own. Here read down through this thread before you buy anthing.... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29168&start=0

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 2:19 am
DarrelK wrote:So, honestly the best value is to build your own. Here read down through this thread before you buy anthing.... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29168&start=0

I don’t have much experience with wood or the tools to cut it as such. It would be a fun little project. I spoke to Phil and he recommended the 4 stage unit so it’s a tad cheaper. I may just go with that. Rather have something that I can just turn on and go. I appreciate the suggestion.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 8:26 am
If you have to purchase a "unit" that's fine. The price difference between his 4 stage and the 5 stage is just $200. That is a tiny drip in the bucket considering what a 5 can do compared to a 4 stage unit. A 5 will save you time and money as you will be tweeking your mix less and you can also get your coatings to lay down "flatter" which means less cutting/buffing. I have not had one single person come back on these forums and say, "Gee, this 5 or 6 stage was just "too much" or over the top for what I was doing." I have had several people hit me with.... "Yeah, I should have moved up to at least a 5."
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies