Sprayfine turbine

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:19 pm
I didn’t buy the unit yet. After Phil told me the 5 stage isn’t as reliable as the 4 stage he has i shied away from the 5. I’ve been researching still. Fuji seems to get a lot of positive reviews. Do you recommend I go with a Fuji 5 stage and does your opinion change in light of the new car I also have to paint now?

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 7:21 am
Well, I don't get where he is coming from with that 5 stage reliablity thing. I know of at least a half dozen guys that have been using 5 stage units since they first hit the market. And....it is the same 5 stage motor under all their different brands including 1 of them that the guy built himself.... In fact, this is the 5 stage unit that is commonly used.... https://www.centralvacuummotor.com/Ligh ... VLP-5S.jpg

And, honestly, even at a 5 stage you are facing an uphill battle in trying to do a color/finish like I see on that BMW.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 4:03 am
DarrelK wrote:Well, I don't get where he is coming from with that 5 stage reliablity thing. I know of at least a half dozen guys that have been using 5 stage units since they first hit the market. And....it is the same 5 stage motor under all their different brands including 1 of them that the guy built himself.... In fact, this is the 5 stage unit that is commonly used.... https://www.centralvacuummotor.com/Ligh ... VLP-5S.jpg

And, honestly, even at a 5 stage you are facing an uphill battle in trying to do a color/finish like I see on that BMW.....

Yeah he said his 5 stage isn’t as reliable. Thus the 1 year vs 2 year warranty. I’m not worried about price at this point. I will invest in a quality set up. I like turbines due to the small footprint and no compressor needed. Is it the number of stages that are a concern, or my skill or something else. I can work on my skill but if something else is handicapping me like the set up that’s where I’ll need your advice.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 7:46 am
In 40 years of shooting, selling, building, and servicing turbine systems I have only seen one two stage turbine overheat/fail and that's because it was located in a hot loft. I have a collection of 2, 3, 4, and even a 5 stage motors setting out on my shelves. None were pulled because they failed. They were pulled to upgrade to the next model. NONE of them even needed their brushes changed. You have to remember here, these things are not like compressors, they are not supplying the whole shop with air. They only run when you are actively shooting.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 2:08 am
DarrelK wrote:In 40 years of shooting, selling, building, and servicing turbine systems I have only seen one two stage turbine overheat/fail and that's because it was located in a hot loft. I have a collection of 2, 3, 4, and even a 5 stage motors setting out on my shelves. None were pulled because they failed. They were pulled to upgrade to the next model. NONE of them even needed their brushes changed. You have to remember here, these things are not like compressors, they are not supplying the whole shop with air. They only run when you are actively shooting.

Got it. What units do you recommend for a 5 stage turbine system? I looked up 6 stage and I can’t recall who makes it but it’s starts to get close to double the cost of a Fuji 5 stage.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:07 am
All of these companies use that same 5 stage turbine motor I gave as a link before.... So, brand is kind of pointless. The 6 stage units should be mostly Capspray which I think are kind of over priced. Absolutely nothing wrong with Capspray but if I was looking at that kind of bucks on a 6 stage I'd just do a DIY turbine build with that motor as I have outlined earlier in several threads.....

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 11:41 am
Alright so after weeks of purchasing I finally got to do a quick run been so busy.
So far I like it only thing that caught me by surprise is the air constantly blowing trough the gun even when trigger isn’t pulled that caught me off guard it was easy to adjust. Unfortunately it was late in the evening and a cold day in mn with temps at about 56.

Sprayed some Martin senour crossfire bc mixed 1:1
And Martin senour ipc15 clear

Not bad for first time I think if I had more time I could adjusted the gun more.
What do you guys think for first time turbine
Attachments
A24E2D4C-0B57-4450-9185-0BF87DA27857.jpeg
49B6F716-9B0D-4FD9-BBBA-4506DE572D24.jpeg
94F180C9-975C-4E24-8DD7-702DB85182F1.jpeg

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 2:29 pm
Yeah, if you aren't used to a "bleeder" style gun it can throw you. Personally, continuous flow bleeder style turbines are better for the turbine wheels themselves with less disruptive backpressuring. Wheels spin up to speed and stay there continuously.
And man, I think that's pretty awesome for your first time kickin' that system. Trust me with different paint brands, reducers, etc., you will get more things figured out for tweeking..... You ended up going 5 stage from Phil?.......

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:11 pm
Looks great. Very encouraging for a beginner like me. Do you have experience painting cars prior to this?

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:49 pm
Yeah Darrel I got the sprayfine 5 stage from Phil. I forgot to add I did this test panel with the 1.3. I took your advice of going closer right off the bat. I can’t wait to try different paint and clears. I can see myself turning to this unit before I fire up the compressor at home for spraying.

Maple ridge I paint cars for a living but I can tell you what this system isn’t shabby for a weekend worrier. I actually got this system for at home spraying. I have a 60 gallon in a two car garage and sometimes it’s just too loud for me. Also I got a 30 gallon and a spray it lvlp which works good too but again it’s loud too. The spray it machine has kinda of vacuum sound. I couldn’t tell you the difference in a 4 stage or 5 but I got the 5 stage but following Darrel on his knowledge of turbine I would have to say 5 is the way to go.
PreviousNext

Return to Tools and Supplies