Supplied air respirator compressor placement.

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 3:57 pm
Hey Guys,

Newbie here, so go easy on me, I'm doing my homework and gathering info before I jump into painting with 2k. I've painted our tractors and equipment for years with enamel, but if I'm going to continue the effort i would like the paint to actually last, hence the change to 2k. I have converted an out building to a booth, or if the equipment is too large I will be painting outdoors. My question is how far away from the paint booth, or if I'm painting outside (were not going for show here, trying to protect the equipment) how far away should my supplied air respirator compressor be? I've read people say multiple times in the search feature "as far as possible" but i was looking for a more realistic answer for a distance the isocyanates and other harmful fumes would dissipate and not be an issue.

Thank you.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 9:00 am
Well, the bigger question is are you talking about a turbine based air supply or a "true" compressor based system? This is the type of turbine system unit that I use....
https://turbineproducts.com/breathecool ... yvek-hood/
These are simple and quite effective.... just sit the turbine air supply box just outside the building on the opposite end of your fan exhaust. No opportunity to pull contaminated air from anywhere....you are breathing the same air as you normally breath....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:39 pm
MSmith389 wrote:I'm painting outside (were not going for show here, trying to protect the equipment) how far away should my supplied air respirator compressor be?

Outside, I'd be placing it upwind and at least 10m away, preferably more, especially if there's not much wind. A rough test would be to have a helper, facing upwind, spray some straight thinner into the air and see how far away you have to be to not be able to smell it at all. Then double that.

Use a gun with a high transfer efficiency rate and keep air pressure at the minimum needed to get a reasonable finish. Saves paint being wasted in the air as well.
Chris

Return to Tools and Supplies