How Long Does YOur Compressor Run?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 3:41 pm
Hi Guys,

Probably a strange question.......curious as to how long your compressor needs to run during painting. Let's say you have a 2 stage 80 gal unit with an average spray gun at say, at 30 psi. Roughly, how long until the unit turns back on to charge itself?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 6:54 pm
So many variables....................... :rolleyes:

Interesting exercise though.

Compressor 3.2hp, 475lpm. Tank is 120l (as in 120 litres of water, not compressed air), which is 32 US gallons or 26.4 real gallons.

Connected to Pro Lite with 1.2mm tip it takes 37 seconds from fully charged tank at 110psi to compressor turning back on when trigger is pulled and held open. It then takes about the same time for compressor to replace air in tank and turn off again.

Obviously, when painting the trigger on the gun isn't pulled constantly, so that charge will last longer. How much longer depends on what you're painting, paint and your style, so big variable here, but it might be 50% longer.

By comparison, a blow off gun takes 20 seconds to discharge air down to 80psi when the compressor motors restarts.

Changing the pressures at which compressor turns off and on will vary results enormously as well.

When I'm painting the air pressure in the tank never drops below 80psi and builds while I continue, so I know that the compressor is big enough for the job with a duty cycle of around 50%.
Chris

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 7:32 pm
NFT5 wrote:So many variables....................... :rolleyes:

Interesting exercise though.

Compressor 3.2hp, 475lpm. Tank is 120l (as in 120 litres of water, not compressed air), which is 32 US gallons or 26.4 real gallons.

Connected to Pro Lite with 1.2mm tip it takes 37 seconds from fully charged tank at 110psi to compressor turning back on when trigger is pulled and held open. It then takes about the same time for compressor to replace air in tank and turn off again.

Obviously, when painting the trigger on the gun isn't pulled constantly, so that charge will last longer. How much longer depends on what you're painting, paint and your style, so big variable here, but it might be 50% longer.

By comparison, a blow off gun takes 20 seconds to discharge air down to 80psi when the compressor motors restarts.

Changing the pressures at which compressor turns off and on will vary results enormously as well.

When I'm painting the air pressure in the tank never drops below 80psi and builds while I continue, so I know that the compressor is big enough for the job with a duty cycle of around 50%.
O.K. cool, you explained it very well. I guess what I was wondering, how often it will be running while I paint small bike parts (tank, 2 fenders and mybe side covers). Being in a residential area, I want to keep the neighbours happy and so far it has not been a problem with my little 5 hp 20 gal unit but, I know the real compressor will be louder but not running nearly as much. I'm probably overthinking it but had some free time here at work.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 3:36 am
Get a quiet compressor. Either the silent type, like mine, or one of the other guys mentioned a very quiet brand, fairly recently.
Chris

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 4:25 am
mounting it to the floor with rubber insulators between compressor and floor will help quiet it.
you can also isolate it in an enclosure with some fresh air intake.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 1:05 pm
What is a good quiet air compressor and how quiet is it? I am looking for a quiet one the more quiet the better if possible.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 4:24 pm
This was a pretty good demo. by Eaton. I've got essentiallly that same E Max that they private label....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYel75zoAnY
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Return to Tools and Supplies