Air filter, coalescer and regulator

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:40 am
Ahajmano wrote: After spraying my first base+clear this past weekend, I cleaned the gun with acetone

Don't clean your gun with acetone. It is much too harsh and will damage plastic components like seals.

Use a general purpose lacquer thinner or specific gun wash (but not the recycled stuff). It is a much less aggressive solvent that won't damage your gun. Don't soak in it though, other than a minute or two for all metal parts like aircap and needle and fluid tip. If you have a plastic baffle like the Devilbiss, just wash in thinners and then rinse and dry immediately.

Always clean your gun immediately upon finishing spraying. Don't even delay it for that much needed fluid exchange or the ciggie you've been hanging for. I've done that, become distracted and come back to a gun in which the clear has set solid. It's definitely not a fun job to clean the gun then.

Don't forget to lubricate your gun after cleaning.
Chris

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:03 am
10-4 Chris! I will switch to lacquer thinner in a spray bottle. I immediately ran acetone through the gun until what was sprayed dried with no residue, then flushed a few more times. Do you recommend I disassemble and clean the internals now as well? Its not a step I did often with the airbrushes, but maybe its more critical in the larger format.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:43 am
I use hard cups so first put some thinners in that and shake well then tip into a slops tin.

I always remove aircap and fluid tip, plus baffle and seal (Devilbiss) and the needle. I also remove the pot. Then wash aircap in a container of thinners using a brush (the toothbrush style that comes with the gun), making sure I clean the holes well. Then rinse and dry.

Same thing for the fluid tip but using a bottle brush for inside and then a special, extra small bottle brush through the nozzle. Rinse with clean thinner and dry. Needle just brush and wipe, but make sure it's clean where it goes through the packing gland.

Clean cup and lid, plus breather. Then rinse and dry.

I swish the top of the gun in the thinner then use appropriate sized bottle brushes to clean from top down and from the front of the gun back to the packing gland. Flush and rinse with clean thinners. Sometimes I'll brush the outside of the gun with the toothbrush dipped in thinners, other times just wipe down depending on how dirty it is. I do like my guns clean, though.

Lubricate moving parts and threads with light smear of Vaseline.
Chris

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:27 pm
Thanks Chris, that’s really helpful. Il pull off the cap ad clean everything thoroughly.
Previous

Return to Tools and Supplies