Iwata Supernova, Iwata LPH400, or Other?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:39 pm
I've been doing quite a bit of research on here on these two guns.

At this point I've sprayed a sunroof and a couple bumpers (which were textured so pretty darn easy) and I was using a small 20 gal compressor and a "Spray It" gun that took very little CFM to run.

I had to do quite a lot of work on the sunroof after paint to get it to look right. Probably a combination of just complete inexperience and possibly tools... but I'm guessing mostly inexperience.

Anyway I just got a new two-stage compressor with enough CFM to properly run a decent paint gun. And I'm planning on doing the front bumper of my Mustang ('91 GT) and possibly more depending.

I was looking at the supernova because I read on one of the threads here that the WS400 made someone look like they knew what they're doing when they really don't. (That would be me... since I'm not experienced)

So that's the one I had set on.

Then I read other posts about the LPH400 and how it's better for beginners and a good all around gun.

Ideally I'd like to get the best/easiest gun to work with and be able to spray both base and clear from it.

I understand that most of the time people have a "clear only" gun, but I'm not going to be doing this enough to justify that cost (at least not now)

My plan is to use the sprayit gun for primers and the new gun for base and clear.

But I just don't know which one to get at this point.

I'm in Round Rock Texas so weather-wise it's pretty **** hot most of the year... mild winters.

I'm running a Quincy QT-54 with an aftercooler ( I used a Derale radiator and piped the air coming out of the compressor through that, into a water separater and into the tank).

I have my lines running up the wall about 20 feet into my dryer, filter, etc and then it's running back down 20 feet into my hose reel.

I was settled on the Supernova, but then I read that the fan pattern isn't "cigar shaped" so it might make blending harder. I don't want anything to be harder for an amateur like me so any advice would be welcome.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:24 pm
Both are great guns. I have used both at Coast Airbrush.

Either call Coast https://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetai ... secoat_Gun
or send an email to the folks at Sprayguns Direct out of the UK. https://spraygunsdirect.co.uk/product/i ... avity-gun/

Do NOT buy off of Amazon as there are a lot of Iwata fakes on Amazon.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:52 am
OFB's nailed it.

A couple of things to remember.....

Iwata have brought out new models in both these guns. The big change is in the spray pattern which is more rectangular and less oval, similar to the SATAs, but without the firehose technology. The new guns are much better, giving better coverage and more tolerant of varying overlaps, so more suitable for beginners. But they're both top shelf guns and aimed at the professional market. Priced accordingly too, but still good value.

With these changed guns there is more of a difference for base and clear so separate guns for each is going to be better.
Chris

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:06 pm
The Iwata guys just flew in today for a visit, they got some nice stuff coming out. they loved my 20+ SATAs haha, they offered to fly me to their facility here in the states for training and fun any time i want to go.

they shut me down on the paid trip to Japan lol.

I will always be a SATA guy though :rockon:
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:44 pm
I use the LPH400 1.4 Silver Tip for epoxy primer, base coat and clear coat.

Haven't tried the newer versions, since this one has been working for me for years.

The LPH 400 requires a smooth steady hand, since it is kept about 4-5" from the surface while spraying. The transfer rate is very good and I find a 50% overlap works just fine.

I do set the air pressure at the gun higher than recommended. 22-23 psi for epoxy and base coat, with 24-26 psi for high quality clears.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:41 am
PainterDave wrote:they shut me down on the paid trip to Japan lol.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

You have to buy 20 Supernovas first?
Chris

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:52 am
NFT5 wrote:
PainterDave wrote:they shut me down on the paid trip to Japan lol.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

You have to buy 20 Supernovas first?

probably lol, but i am going to take them up on the facility here in the states !!! should be a fun trip
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Return to Tools and Supplies