Paint Supply Source

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:35 pm
Been trying to find a source for paint locally.

I've only found two. One carries Transtar and appears to carry other things if you order it in.

The other one is Sherwin Williams automotive supply.

After a lot of reading I think I want to go with PPG or maybe Tamco, but have been unable to find a local source that does either.

Is there an online shop that people use here? The store on this site is down.

Or if anyone lives in the Austin Texas area and knows of a local source I'd definitely appreciate it.

Thanks!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:33 pm
I would not be concerned about using Transtar at all. They used to have a fully stocked store just down the road from me for a few years. The guys running it knew their stuff and I was sad to see it close. Products were good and easy to troubleshoot.
As far as Tamco you just order that direct..... https://tamcopaint.com/ I get mine direct to my door in about 2 to 3 days. PPG is great stuff but quite a strain on the wallet presently. Sherwin Williams Automotive is decent stuff and again those stores are fairly well stocked.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:03 pm
You could only find two places in Austin TX?

Austin has a Finishmaster and a few other places.

Like Darrel said, Tamco is online only and is a great place to get stuff. I probably use them for 80% of my materials.

I do use a local jobber for when I use PPG's Envirobase, awesome stuff but $$$. Or when I want something color matched.

I use Tamco for most of my epoxies and clears except for the matte clear which I get from "The Coatings Store'

There are some other online places also. Haven't tried Orion or the other unspeakable place, but I haven't really needed to as I am a weekender rookie hobbiest.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:29 am
OldFatBald wrote:Y Haven't tried Orion or the other unspeakable place,

Don't buy from that "unspeakable place" (southern blank)
They are not to be trusted.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:41 pm
I really like Automotive Art MotobaseLV. Sprays and covers great.
I order it from here: http://www.autorodtechnologies.com/chad ... -and-audio and you can get it by the pint, quart or gallon, plus they will mix to match colors if you need them to.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Tools and Supplies