GTi ProLite Putting Down Dry Cllear

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:30 pm
Hi Guys,

Been using a ProLite for clear on my bigger jobs and I can lay down a glass like finish most of the time. I used it a couple of weeks ago. Up to now I have always used it in my "booth". Today I was doing a driveway job on my Ford Escape (tailgate and both rear quarters). Temp was right around 70' with a very light breeze in direct sunshine. I used the same settings on the gun and technique as I normally do.

First coat goes on very dry. I'm thinking that I need to increase the fluid so I give it a half turn and lay another coat in about 10 minutes. Same result so I increase the fluid again. Goes on a bit wetter but still drier than it has been the other week. Running short on time, I grab my tried and true AZ3 and give it 2 more coats--goes on nice and thick and left a super smooth finish--probably less then factory peel.

Curious why the ProLite acted differently than it normally does. All I can figure is that being outside and a light breeze, the clear was drying before it hit the surface. Also the car is black and possibly the metal was hotter than I realized however, lots of areas were in the shade.

End of the day, I got the job done (it is my car) but I was surprised about the dryness with the ProLite. If I had more time I would of played with the fluid flow and maybe I could of dialed it in. Thoughts??

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:52 pm
Is the vent hole in the cup lid plugged?
You did remove the plastic filter screen inside the cup, right?
Also, a thorough cleaning of the tip and needle may be in order.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:52 pm
I carry an infra-red thermometer shooter with me when I go to car shows kind of just for fun. I've gotten temp.s of over 167 degrees off black hoods. On even a moderately sunny day you shouldn't have dogs walking on asphalt as those temp.s rise above 120. The idea of shooting outdoors kind of sound great doesn't? To me there are too many other variables that play in like these high temp.s If you shoot black Raptor Bedliner out on a sunny day you'll see 15 to 30 minute recoat windows.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:24 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Is the vent hole in the cup lid plugged?
You did remove the plastic filter screen inside the cup, right?
Also, a thorough cleaning of the tip and needle may be in order.
I will check the vent hole--it looks clear but maybe it is partially plugged. Cup filter is long gone and I am pretty meticulous with the cleaning but maybe I missed something. Thanks!!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:29 pm
DarrelK wrote:I carry an infra-red thermometer shooter with me when I go to car shows kind of just for fun. I've gotten temp.s of over 167 degrees off black hoods. On even a moderately sunny day you shouldn't have dogs walking on asphalt as those temp.s rise above 120. The idea of shooting outdoors kind of sound great doesn't? To me there are too many other variables that play in like these high temp.s If you shoot black Raptor Bedliner out on a sunny day you'll see 15 to 30 minute recoat windows.....
No doubt the panels in the sunlight were pretty warm but areas in the shade still were dry. I think had I had more time I could played with the settings and got it to perform like it did the other week. A lot of things were different in my driveway compared to the booth.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:25 pm
I shot this truck outside in 70 degree Arizona weather.
Used slow activator and slow reducer. No issues. That's why I think there was something wrong with your gun.

This is one coat:
Clear First Coat 2.jpg
1968 Coronet R/T

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:47 pm
I can't remember did you do that truck in Tamco or was it from the uhhh, well you know, the unspeakable paint company from down South......
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:06 pm
Yeah, that other one. Euro Clear.

This one was Tamco Glamour Clear:

Left Side view.JPG
1968 Coronet R/T

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:27 am
Pro Lite atomises finer than the AZ3 so your spray is going to be more subject to wind and heat - both things that aren't a factor in your "booth". Also, even in the shade, metal temps will be higher.

A bigger fluid tip, say 1.4mm and the TE20 aircap will help but you need to get in closer in put it on a bit wetter.
Chris

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:40 pm
NFT5 wrote:Pro Lite atomises finer than the AZ3 so your spray is going to be more subject to wind and heat - both things that aren't a factor in your "booth". Also, even in the shade, metal temps will be higher.

A bigger fluid tip, say 1.4mm and the TE20 aircap will help but you need to get in closer in put it on a bit wetter.
Currently it has a T110 cap and a 1.2mm. 95% of my work is inside so I want the best set up for clear work on bigger parts.
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies