Best Spray Guns for Beginners

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:35 am
Hello all,

Allow me to preface this by saying I'm quite new to forums like this so I'm still figuring some stuff out. I am currently a student at an auto body repair school, and after taking a few of the paint classes the process has really captured my attention. While I don't have the time to work as a painter's helper at a certified repair shop, I would like to continue practicing and refining my skills by taking on small custom projects on the side (motorcycle helmets/fuel tanks, welding masks, stuff for friends), basically things that I can paint to build my skills without needing a full sized paint booth. As for spray guns and paint go, I've only ever sprayed with the Anest Iwata LPH-400 and an Iwata airbrush (the school's spray guns) and Axalta paint products. I liked those products, but I know there's a lot more out there. What kind of equipment am I needing to get to get started on custom projects on the side? Is this something I can legally do in something like an outdoor storage locker (I have done my best to make the location dust/debris free)? We brushed over VOC compliance for production shops in school but are there any regulations for custom work? What would be the best bang for your buck spray guns/airbrushes for someone just entering the industry? Aside from the obvious (spray guns/hoses/fittings, compressor, paint, PPE, makeshift semi-downdraft ventilation[?]), what else would I need? Thank you for taking the time to read this, I look forward to meeting the community!

TL;DR

-Best spray guns/airbrushes for new painters?
-List of equipment needed to start doing small custom projects on the side?
-Legality of spraying in a (prepped as best as I could) outdoor storage locker?
-Makeshift "ventilation"(semi-downdraft)?

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:10 am
I do motorcycle jobs on the side and my best investment was a decent compressor. I saved up for an 80gal 2stage unit. It has enabled me to put out much better work tan my old portable 5HP 20 gal compressor ever did. Just my .02

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:18 am
I use the LP400 Silver Cap 1.4 Tip for Epoxy Primer, Base Coat and Clear coat.

Those in the business side of things seem to prefer SATA. These guns have a larger spray pattern, put out more material and thus require you to move at a bit faster rate while spraying.

I do restorations and prefer the slower, steady rate of the Iwata LPH. So a bunch of this is personal preference once you get into the better quality spray guns.

My Tekna Copper is somewhere in between the SATA and Iwata LPH. Much larger fan and requires a bit more spraying speed.

All of them require a good compressor that puts out around 15 CFM. Spray guns will state the amount of CFM they need to operate and it is best to have a compressor that exceeds those amount. Plus if you are planning to run air tools, like a DA or blast cabinet, you will need the extra volume of air.

Check this article I wrote for the Info Center: https://www.autobody101.com/content/art ... ould-know/
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:55 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:Those in the business side of things seem to prefer SATA.

Some.

Lots of good advice in 68's link, above.

For guns, well all equipment really, stay away from the temptation to buy cheap stuff. I can't tell you how many spray guns I've chucked in the bin, some after only a single use. Stick to brand names like SATA, Devilbiss and Iwata. They all have a premium range that is expensive as well as a second tier that is much cheaper but was their top of the range prior to release of the latest model. The LPH400 is a good example of this but have a think about an RP gun rather than HVLP. Much better finish and transfer efficiency too.The Pro Lite from Devilbiss is another example (similar to 68's Tekna). Even SATA make an economy model fire hose. Check pricing against spraygunsdirect.com - they are often cheaper than a local supplier and have excellent service.

Booths are a bigger subject than I have room for here but a converted locker probably isn't a good idea. DIY is fine but you'll need to do some research on the legalities so that what you make not only complies but suits your needs now as well as later, and is safe to work in.

Get the biggest compressor you can't afford. For airbrushes I use Paasche but Iwata make some really good ones too.
Chris

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:59 am
OldFatBald is there where i post a pic :rotfl:
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:33 pm
PainterDave wrote:OldFatBald is there where i post a pic :rotfl:

When I saw the thread's title, I thought to myself "ol PD is gonna show off his collection"

My response to the OP's questions;

Like others have mentioned, save up and get a good gun. There are a lot of options. Stay away from eBay as that is a crapshoot.

Since I am a rookie, I first bought a Devilbiss Starting Line gun set with multiple tips. Garbage and the only gun that I have gotten rid of. I still have a Finish Line gun that I will use for heavy primers. When I started I thought that an expensive gun would just be a waste as I had no idea what I was doing. But once I got a decent gun (Sagola 4600), what a difference! You still need to set it up correctly, prep correctly blah blah blah. PD set me up a couple years back with a Sata 5500 RP and it is a beautiful piece that lays down clear while I am in the other room (slight exaggeration) - I took a class down at So Cal's Coast Airbrush and used a bunch of Iwatas, those were great guns also. You can go to the UK's Sprayguns Direct and get an ANI or the lower cost Iwatas to start with, then learn it and keep it clean! I buy acetone in five gallon buckets. For detail work I LOVE my little Iwata LPH-80s

Equipment: Again, a good compressor can't be underestimated, I finally bit the bullet and purchased a nice 7.5 hp 80 gal unit that makes my girlfriend go "Woo!" (again, slight exaggeration). You will need good air filtration also.

What do you mean by spraying in an outdoor storage locker? I spray in my Pig Barn Shop which was originally a pig barn. By listening to these guys, trying stuff, screwing up stuff, sanding that stuff off and redoing that stuff two, three and sometimes more, I have been able to knock out a few good looking projects. It all takes me way longer than this forum's experts but its a hobby for me.

My ventilation is two open doors, a wet floor and a box fan but I live down the end of a private lane with no real close neighbors.

Sata 5500 - Panel Prep (1).jpg
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Non-Lurker
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:32 pm
Not seasoned amateur by any means but as a Novice, ( Restored many MB's over my working years) to where I get as much as I could by myself before handing off to my Painter, I Got started using Siphon Cup equipment, Used DeVelbiss, then I finally got a new Sharpe 775S :goodjob: years later...

Now that I'm retired and have the time to learn how to lay down some paint, (my painter died 10 years ago) I've been real lucky in that I had a chance to buy the 3M PPS sprayer w/ new style PPS Cup system on sale. >$300.00 last year. With that I got a starter kit of cups and filters, Various nozzle sizes for Primer to Clear coats. He threw in can of 3M Gun Cleaner and I was off to painting/blending on my PDR'd 911 rear fender. You can see many reviews of the gun and how it rates on YouTube if your interested. I didn't, but have since.
It will make you confident in attempting your first job. Prep it, load up paint, check pattern- adjust if necessary, start laying down some primer to get the hang of it.

After a cut and buff, my Car looked fantastic enough, I entered it in local PCA Concurs this summer.

Point being, you don't have to spend a ton to get going and learn. But I will tell you to buy quality every time, be that Tools, Materials, etc. It pays off in the end. I'm still using Air Compressor I bought 40 years ago. 12 cfm @90PSI. My Snap-On's are my best investment next to the APPL stock.

Recently I bought a Sharpe Mini Gun for detail work. (based on reviews and past expirences w gear) It does a great job at a great price. I use the 3M cup system on it also $25 for the adapter.

I like the 3m PPS cup system as it saves on cleaning and material usage. and it make you efficient in getting ready to spray. It's always a nervous time for a new person painting.

Get your prep right and come back and Spray the next morning. Take it all in and remember what gave you fits, work on it and you'll get confident quickly.

I don't know that I'd recommend a storage area for paint work. Especially if I owned the place.

I hate the clean up in my own garage and I have huge 1 HP 30" Vent fan.

Good Luck
Mike Mullins
Cincinnati OH area
911 Turbo-Seal Gray
911 Targa-Midnight Blue Metallic
Tacoma TRD-Sport Blazing Blue Pearl

Return to Tools and Supplies