Anti Static Guns?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:22 pm
Hi Guys,

Has anyone ever used one of the cheap anti static guns? Sounds too good to be true. https://www.amazon.com/Ionizing-Upgrade ... r=8-2&th=1

$110 is tempting. I'm only doing bike parts so small gun like this could work but I am skeptical. Thoughts??

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:18 pm
not sure about the cheap ones, i dont use them myself but friends seem to like them.

i use SX103
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:24 pm
PainterDave wrote:not sure about the cheap ones, i dont use them myself but friends seem to like them.

i use SX103
With the SX103, do you use it like regular W/G remover or is it applied differently?

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:23 am
Rebel Racing wrote:
PainterDave wrote:not sure about the cheap ones, i dont use them myself but friends seem to like them.

i use SX103
With the SX103, do you use it like regular W/G remover or is it applied differently?

Just spray a light mist coat on right before paint, After tacking and wiping.

Valspar DeBeer LIC

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:38 am
PainterDave wrote:
Rebel Racing wrote:

i use SX103

Thanks Dave. I assume that the mist coat evaporates pretty rapidly--perhaps mainly alcohol based (?). I'll see if my supplier can get it for me.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:51 pm
Rebel Racing wrote:
PainterDave wrote:
Rebel Racing wrote:

i use SX103

Thanks Dave. I assume that the mist coat evaporates pretty rapidly--perhaps mainly alcohol based (?). I'll see if my supplier can get it for me.

The SDS sheet for SX103 lists it as >90% Isopropyl alcohol.

PD is spoiled by his reps, as one of the "little people" I use use water based (Isopropyl alcohol based) W&G remover from my local FinishMaster house brand, Tamco or some other online supplier. That way I can save up for my $250/qt PPG paints!!!

I will use it after my solvent based W&G remover, which I am sure I learned from someone on this forum.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:33 pm
OldFatBald wrote:
Rebel Racing wrote:
PainterDave wrote:
Rebel Racing wrote:

i use SX103

The SDS sheet for SX103 lists it as >90% Isopropyl alcohol.

PD is spoiled by his reps, as one of the "little people" I use use water based (Isopropyl alcohol based) W&G remover from my local FinishMaster house brand, Tamco or some other online supplier. That way I can save up for my $250/qt PPG paints!!!

I will use it after my solvent based W&G remover, which I am sure I learned from someone on this forum.

but you do spray it on i hope ? wiping is partly the cause of static.

OFB: buddy when PPG reps need color matched you should see the PPG swag show up in boxes :happy: what size coat you wear ? go pick one out and let me know.

https://www.ppgmarketplace.com/ppgmarke ... -outerwear

Valspar DeBeer LIC

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:54 pm
Rebel Racing wrote: I assume that the mist coat evaporates pretty rapidly--perhaps mainly alcohol based (?)

I use a mix of Methylated Spirits (aka Denatured Alcohol/Ethanol) and water. Usually 50:50 but I do increase the alcohol content in winter if I want it to evaporate a bit faster. The water stops the static and alcohol cleans any residue from Prepsol and leaves the surface clinically clean. Spray-on, wipe off preferably with a low static producing cloth. Tack and blow before paint. Fisheyes are a thing of the past.
Chris

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:06 pm
PainterDave wrote:
OldFatBald wrote:The SDS sheet for SX103 lists it as >90% Isopropyl alcohol.

OFB: buddy when PPG reps need color matched you should see the PPG swag show up in boxes :happy: what size coat you wear ? go pick one out and let me know.

PD, I only look like a medium but I'm an XL and wear anything fleece!

My water based cleaners get sprayed on, then wiped off with a wetted Krew 600 towel - I sure hope that's the correct procedure!!!

***BTW, I just checked with my usual supplier "Jeff Bezos" and Amazon along with two other websites don't carry Krew 600 towels anymore????
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:14 pm
OldFatBald wrote:
PainterDave wrote:
OldFatBald wrote:The SDS sheet for SX103 lists it as >90% Isopropyl alcohol.

PD, I only look like a medium but I'm an XL and wear anything fleece!

My water based cleaners get sprayed on, then wiped off with a wetted Krew 600 towel - I sure hope that's the correct procedure!!!

***BTW, I just checked with my usual supplier "Jeff Bezos" and Amazon along with two other websites don't carry Krew 600 towels anymore????

both water and w&g should be used correct, the wiping is what actually causes static,

especially on plastic, the dx103 misted onto the part will kill the static after cleaning and tacking.

Valspar DeBeer LIC
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies