some direction so that I can start research

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:00 pm
I would be grateful if the members could direct me in my research.
So basically for years I have been doing machine polishing on and off. I have enjoyed it and would like to now invest in equipment in to embark on the journey of spray painting/panel beating. So please read on and offer wisdom where you can. In terms of experience, this isn't really much more than doing polishing/paint correction and some basic panel beating, I have a SHED load of experience in mechanical car repair stuff though. I understand this isn't transferable as such, but I am very hands on.

AREA
I have a lockup with decent space in it. I comfortably do my mechanical repairs in there. The ceiling is high (thinking of getting a ramp in there).

SAFETY
This subject is paramount to me. I really want to be safe when working with chemicals.
What would you guys suggest in your experience I do for personal safety regarding the following: respirator, eye protection, body suit, ventilation ideas and types of chemicals to stay away from?

COMPRESSOR OR SOMTHING ELSE
As mentioned before, I do loads of mechanical work and can see benefits in having an air compressor for both body and mechanical stuff. If I can't kill two birds with one stone, that won't matter so much. In this area, I am looking to know about decent capacity so that I can get a smooth finish every time. My concern though is noise levels of the compressor, don't want to disturb neighbors. I believe there is a turbine as another option (obviously just for spray) but don't know a tank load about it.

BEGINNERS JOURNEY
I know that the key and 90% of a paint job is in preparation. Until research is complete I want to start the process of learning sanding filling etc. I will be getting myself a wing tomorrow to start experimenting, what tools should I get a hold of filling and sanding as a beginner? In other words, where did your journey start, and what would you have done differently to learn?

GENERAL ADVICE
My plan is to start by getting tools together, do some basic stuff then take classes to learn further, is this what you would do to, or would an all experienced person approach things differently if doing it all again?

Thanks in advance.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:00 pm
Short of writing a book I'm not even going to try to answer all of your questions. Start with articles linked in the Info Centre (above) and then the sticky posts in each forum section. Come back and ask specific questions.

Just a few things that stand out from your post that I'll try to cover:

iffy wrote:I have a lockup with decent space in it.

Lockup? Size/layout and photos would help but if it's what seems to be typical in the UK, i.e. one of a number of single garage sized enclosed areas with a door on the front, in a row of others the same, then I'd question whether it's really suitable for painting in. To paint you're going to need it to be reasonably dust tight and have the ability to have air intakes (probably at one end) and exhaust at the other. Can you fit a plenum, fan and flue that will get the exhaust high enough to not drown the neighbours in highly toxic vapours?

iffy wrote:SAFETY
This subject is paramount to me.

Agree. It's of paramount importance. But it's not just you - your neighbourts need to be considered too (see my comment above). In terms of yourself, certainly a supplied air system is the best, followed by a full face respirator. If you go with a SAS, where will you draw your air from? If just a filtering respirator then filters lives may be quite short. Otherwise, full body coverage with a proper paint suit, mask, gloves, bootees.....

Being in the UK the use of 2K paints is fairly strictly limited to proper paint booths in pro shops. So, legally, you may not be able to use 2K products which limits you to acrylics a.k.a. lacquers. They're not as toxic as paints with isocyanates, but you don't want to be breathing in those vapours either.

iffy wrote:COMPRESSOR OR SOMTHING ELSE

Battery electric tools have replaced a lot of air tools but I can't imagine any decent mechanical workshop without compressed air. So a compressor is going to be on your list. You'll need something that is ideally capable of at least 480l/m or 17cfm. Lees than that might work for some spray guns but will leave you short for air tools like DA sanders.

There are a few belt driven compressors that are relatively quiet, or you can go to one of the silenced type. A bit more expensive but I have one that is only 60dBA - stand next to it and talk on the phone or have a normal conversation. Like you I was concerned about the neighbours.

iffy wrote:I will be getting myself a wing tomorrow to start experimenting, what tools should I get a hold of filling and sanding as a beginner?

Good idea but I'd start with a small bonnet instead. Easier to learn in a single plane than it is to deal with complex compound curves.

I couldn't even begin to list all the body tools I have but start with, say, 3 hammers, with pick and finish, bumping and straight pein and shrinking heads. Plus a few dollies and maybe a spoon or two. Don't buy on price - the cheap ones are junk and won't give you a decent life and maybe impact on the quality of your work. Don't need to buy the most expensive either - good mid to high range quality will usually do the job that you want, be comfortable and effective to use. You'll need a range of sanding blocks, from rigid to fairly soft, short and long, plastic or metal scrapers to apply filler (I use the metal ones because they're easily cleaned and reusable).

Then there's air/power tools. A decent 150mm/6" DA with at least 5-6mm orbit and another with 2.5-3mm orbit for fine work. Maybe an inline air sander, some die grinders and a 125mm/5" grinder for paint removal. Buffs you probably already have. Board(s) for mixing filler. Maybe a stud welder for pulling dents, with studs, tabs, wavy wire and a slide hammer.

These are just basics.

Certainly take classes. Your local technical/trade school will probably run something at night. Spend lots and lots of time practicing and be prepared to spend a lot more money than you ever thought you would. The savings and benefits will come later.
Chris

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:38 pm
To get you started in the Info Center:
https://www.autobody101.com/content/art ... ould-know/
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:06 pm
Thank you very much for the info. I will come back as and when more questions arise

Return to Tools and Supplies