affordable paint system for DIY?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:53 am
So we use sikkens at the shop and I have ppg envirobase at home thats kinda dried up. Do you guys know of a paint system that can be purchased over the counter so I can use at home?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:06 am
Have a think about what kind of system you want. Solvent or water?

Solvent is usually better for home, since water needs a much better booth for even drying.

Then think about what kind of system. Usually space at home is at a premium so having multiple mixing racks isn't always an option. In that case consider one of the systems that uses a single set of tinters and then different binders to make 2K Direct Gloss, base coat and even acrylic and vinyl paint. Examples of this kind of system are Axalta Cromax and Valspar. Glasurit also have one, as do a couple of others.

Then start scouring the ads on the second hand sites - Facebook painters groups, Facebook Maketplace, Gumtree and whatever might be local to you.

I quite regularly see ads for full paint systems at a fraction of what they're really worth. For example, Cromax Mastertint systems with 30-50% full tinters for $1500 that, if you bought new, would cost $25K plus. There's usually binders and sometimes other products thrown in as well.

Sometimes the systems even include a spectro, which makes them even better value.

You may need to travel a bit to pick up, but some serious money to be saved.
Chris

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:18 am
:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:

Best to get it settled in your mind before proceeding.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Tools and Supplies