Spraying Metal Flake

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:50 pm
Hi Guys,

I may be shooting flake for the first time on a bike helmet. I was going to use my Iwata AZ3 that I use for base but am a bit concerned that I might not be able to get all the flake out of it when I clean it. I am pretty meticulous though. For the cost, would I be better off just picking up another AZ3 and keep it strictly for flake? Any hints or tips are appreciated.

Thanks,

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:42 pm
Just clean it thoroughly.

The reason that I, and a lot of other painters, have dedicated clear guns is not for the risk of colour or flake transfer, although I don't like how some cups get stained with some tinters, but because the gun's set up for clear and can be used pretty much off the shelf.
Chris

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:42 pm
NFT5 wrote:Just clean it thoroughly.

The reason that I, and a lot of other painters, have dedicated clear guns is not for the risk of colour or flake transfer, although I don't like how some cups get stained with some tinters, but because the gun's set up for clear and can be used pretty much off the shelf.
O.K. that saved me a few $$ then. I'll just need to see what needle/nozzle size I will need (depending on the size of flake, I suspect). Thanks!!

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:37 pm
I always had problems using a gravity feed gun when shooting
large flakes, they tend to settle out in the neck of the cup.
I use an old siphon cup gun that works pretty good, and
you can keep shaking it between coats.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:33 pm
I have an ANI F150 (now they are F160s I think), they are a little over $115 that I shoot all my flakes out of. It was less than a new needle and tip for my Sagola. It has a 1.7 tip and all I use it for is flakes.

I haven't had a problem, I do shake the cup a lot, to keep the flakes suspended in the intercoat.

It is the gun that I used on my Caddy trunk. Lots of flake through the ANI, both silver and colored. Lots of candies using my LPH-80s.
(X) Final Clear - Small.jpg
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:11 am
JCCLARK wrote:I always had problems using a gravity feed gun when shooting
large flakes, they tend to settle out in the neck of the cup.
I use an old siphon cup gun that works pretty good, and
you can keep shaking it between coats.
Well, I do have 1 of my Dad's old Devilbiss siphon guns that I always said I'd like to play around with it....hummmmm.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:12 am
OldFatBald wrote:I have an ANI F150 (now they are F160s I think), they are a little over $115 that I shoot all my flakes out of. It was less than a new needle and tip for my Sagola. It has a 1.7 tip and all I use it for is flakes.

I haven't had a problem, I do shake the cup a lot, to keep the flakes suspended in the intercoat.

It is the gun that I used on my Caddy trunk. Lots of flake through the ANI, both silver and colored. Lots of candies using my LPH-80s.
I'll look inot that one--always like to pick up new "toys", LOL. Beautiful work btw.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:15 pm
OldFatBald wrote:I have an ANI F150 (now they are F160s I think), they are a little over $115 that I shoot all my flakes out of. It was less than a new needle and tip for my Sagola. It has a 1.7 tip and all I use it for is flakes.

I'll bug you for gun settings if I end up getting one. BTW, where did you buy it from?

Thanks!!

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:45 pm
Rebel Racing wrote:I'll bug you for gun settings if I end up getting one. BTW, where did you buy it from? Thanks!!

Spray Guns Direct out of jolly ol England. I use the 1.7 tip and spray all kinds of flake out of it. I found that I use mostly the chrome or silver flake then hit it with different candies. Buy intercoat and clear by the gallons!!!

https://spraygunsdirect.co.uk/product/a ... spray-gun/

Great folks to deal with. You do pay shipping (not bad) but you don't pay the VAT.

The longest that I have waited was about four days to Northern California.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:00 am
OldFatBald wrote:
Rebel Racing wrote:I'll bug you for gun settings if I end up getting one. BTW, where did you buy it from? Thanks!!

Spray Guns Direct out of jolly ol England. I use the 1.7 tip and spray all kinds of flake out of it. I found that I use mostly the chrome or silver flake then hit it with different candies. Buy intercoat and clear by the gallons!!!

https://spraygunsdirect.co.uk/product/a ... spray-gun/

Great folks to deal with. You do pay shipping (not bad) but you don't pay the VAT.

The longest that I have waited was about four days to Northern California.
Yep, bought my last 2 guns form them....2-4 days to my door and the price was right. Sounds like the 1.7 tip is the right one to go by. Not sure if I have the flake job coming in right now but might just get the gun and play around with it for when the time is right.
Next

Return to Tools and Supplies