Has anyone used Sherwin Williams lacquer?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:10 am
I am contemplating using Sher-Lac for my next project. I was initially planning to use PPG, but no one around here seems to carry it. I am sure it has something to do with all of California's enviromentally friendly laws. I can at least purchase the Sherwin Williams products within an hour drive.

If you have experience with this product, do you recommend the single stage or bc/cc. I will definitley spend a lot of time buffing the finish either way I go. The car will be painted in a garage if this makes a difference.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:43 am
I've used Martin Senour, it's the same product. Why are you planning on using lacquer? The urethane BC/CC is alot easier to work with,stands up
better,easier to repair. The down side is it's real hazardous,You really need the proper respirator and good ventilaton.
Dale

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:33 pm
I prefer to use the lacquer exactly because of the downsides you mention. I don't have a good respirator or good ventilation. How did the Martin Senour turn out? Would you recommend it?
64 Chevy - Bel Air, 2 door, 283, PG
79 Vespa - P125 all stock for now!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:51 pm
The PPG had a better Lacquer back then, I don't know about now.
Dale
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:15 pm
:D I would try to find a respirator. The urethanes are such a better product. If you are painting a show car or something that is not going to see the outdoors much, then laquer is ok, but even a single stage urethane will be much more durable, and not very much more expensive if you go with a PPG Omni, or Dupont Nason, or something of the sort. Not trying to send you away from laquer, but that is why it is harder to find now days, because of the VOC's and the lack of durability. Just my .02 worth..
Larry

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:39 pm
What type of respirator is required? Do I need one of the fresh air systems? The paint will be applied in a garage, is the urethane as easy to apply and fix?
64 Chevy - Bel Air, 2 door, 283, PG
79 Vespa - P125 all stock for now!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:50 pm
I would say it is as easy to fix as lacquer, but different. It is also much less labor intensive than lacquer. In a good application of Lacquer it is a few coats then sand and a few coats and sand and polish. Ureathane BC CC is a one shot deal. And then cut and buff once. Yes, the best respirator is a supplied air respirator. You can pick one up for around 300 or so. IF you plan on doing any more painting, Then it is a great investment. It is less than the cost of one paint job. I have the Hobby air system. It is very good for the money spent.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 5:39 pm
hi,

Urethane b/c - c/c is the way to go. I just painted a Jag 120 with SW lacquer last year, using it more as a guide coat and seeing how long it would hold up with 5000 miles a year driving. Instant gratification with the painting process, easy to put on and polish. Looked great. One year later, not as pretty, needs touch ups, buffing here and there, but still looks nice. Downside is that anything will affect it. Spill gas on it and the lacquer bubbles up. Tree stains, bird poop, all need touch up paint. None of that with urethane. I use lacquer to verify my color choice, a guide coat that allows me to drive a decent looking car while prepping for urethane which, by the way, easily goes over the lacquer. Still would seal it.
Respirator-- I use a Shop vac reversed with swimming pool plastic hose into a hood respirator from S/W ($22). Plenty of positive air, and a clean shop to boot!!

Cheers, Lee

Return to Tools and Supplies