Cheap spray guns....worth it?

Any questions about tools or supplies. Post your compressor/gun questions here.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:19 am
Would something like this be usable just for occasional priming and painting?

I'm just starting out, and still in school so funds are limited..
Trying to get into the trade soon...so wanna save as much $$ as possible...

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:33 pm
I bought the following hvlp spray gun at harbor freight and it works very good for the price.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=43430

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:27 pm
Hey racer did it come with a tip?
Size?
And do you use it for primer to cc?

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 2:30 am
Mine came with a 1.4 tip. I've used it for everything but I am moving it back to a primer only gun and adding a Sharpe for my finish gun. Two reasons: my needs have become a little more sophisticated and it just takes too much work to get it spotlessly clean of primer before using it for something else.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:52 pm
The HF gun came with a 1.4 tip. I've used it mainly for primer, but i shot some acrylic enamel with it the other day and works good. I also bought a bigger cup for it awhile back. I've never sprayed bc/cc. but i'm going to learn pretty soon. I use a Devilbiss Finishline III gun primarily.

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:25 am
Questions about the Harbor Freight HVLP Gravity feed gun seen to crop up all the time so I got curious.
I had a HF and a Sharpe (predecesor to the Cobalt) on my bench Friday night and I examined them closely. I'll list a few differences I noticed. You can take the Sharpe apart with a small adjustable wrench and a screwdriver. You have to use the special wrench provided with the HF or you risk damaging the fluid tip (Now, where did that wrench get to???). The fluid tip on the Sharpe is much harder steel than the HF. All the controls on the HF are soft aluminum, the Sharpe's are better stuff. The trigger piviot on the Sharpe is a sex bolt and screw, on the HF, a pin with an E-clip. The Sharpe is a precision fit, the HF is so sloppy, I noticed I have worn the purple finish off the side of the housing from the trigger rubbing. I had to replace the regulator on the HF 'cuz it jammed when I hooked it up to my 2 stage compressor. A little more research shows it was rated for only 135 psi. The Sharpe internals were lubricated with a Vasoline-like grease, The HF was dry. I think the difference is a lot like a stereo system, Until you listen to a good one, you didn't think there was anything wrong with yours but there are differences and they become apparent after you are around the good stuff. The HF gun is a good gun but not a great gun. I'm not embarrased by a couple of motorcycle tanks I've done with my HF gun BUT they could be better.

Return to Tools and Supplies